Ever tried to sell your old books?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Ever tried to sell your old books?

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 8, '08, 10:48 pm

If so, was your attempt a success, failure, or somewhere in-between?

This was inspired by a story on another forum, where a person had many novels and an interest in selling them. After attempting to do so on Amazon.com and other websites for six months, that person had not made a sale. So they asked: if you ever sold any of your books, did you make a profit? Also, however way you sold them, were there any cons or advantages?

Or did you just give them away freely?

I don't collect books in the sense of acquiring the best editions or versions of a book, but I do like to buy a book if I'm really interested in reading it. I used to subscribe to one of those mail order book clubs for that. In the past few years I lost most interest and stopping buy books as often, however.

I have purchased a few over the years that I later decided to sell on eBay, but that met with mixed success and little profit.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby snowdragon » Wed Apr 9, '08, 12:26 am

i haven't had much luck selling books either. although I don't get rid of many. i like to read them over and over again. sometimes you can donate them to your local library if you don't want them any more.
A Knight is sworn to valor,
his heart knows only virtue,
his blade defends the helpless,
his might upholds the weak,
his word speaks only truth,
his wrath undoes the wicked

(The Old Code - Dragonheart )
snowdragon
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 130

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 9, '08, 8:58 pm

I've had a fair amount of success selling used books online and at yard sales, etc. I think I usually wind up buying more than I resell though. Sometimes used school books can fetch some hefty prices. And sometimes you can buy a used book (college students especially) cheaper online than you can buy it at your college - been there, done that! :wink:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rudo » Fri Apr 11, '08, 7:07 am

Nah, I figure I don't want 'em so why would anyone else want 'em. I could probably give 'em away, but sell 'em - no, don't think I'd get a good price.
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby hugues » Fri Apr 11, '08, 9:26 pm

I have a ton of older programming books that I tried to sell on ebay without any success. Those get outdated so quickly they're practically worthless. Our local library has a donated books store, everything 25:2c: to $1 - I just end-up leaving them there.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 11, '08, 10:40 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that about programming books, too. I tried to sell a few and didn't have any luck there either. It's really a shame about how soon they lose relevance.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Apr 13, '08, 4:36 am

We always just give ours away, every year my mom makes me go through all my stuff and give her all the junk I don't need anymore. I don't like getting rid of my stuff. I could care less about clothes, but something I could eventually use again...
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Return to Leapin' Library