Collections! Obsessions! The stuff you spend money on!

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Divine Dragon » Sat Aug 18, '07, 9:51 pm

al wrote:I thought pack rat was a hoarder with storage skills, whereas a regular hoarder would just have a lot of stuff either laying around or stored inefficently.
I'm a hoarder in the sense that it's very hard for me to discard my less-than-useful items, luckily for me I rarely buy stuff.
I've never found that definition. If anything, I've found that rat packs hoard things specifically discarded by others, like magpies.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 19, '07, 2:42 am

Well, having read all these definitions that everyone has referred to in the other posts regarding "pack rat" and "hoarder", etc., I am happy to say that I don't believe I fit in either category really. :clap:

I only have a little bit of stuff that I keep, as probably any person might do - no heavy duty compulsion thing going on there, or anything like that, and it's all my original stuff and nothing that was thrown away by anyone else - yikes!!!!!!! :roll:

Hey guys, what do you say let's forget the "rat pack" and the "hoarder" stuff. That is all beginning to sound very unpleasant, if you get my drift. :bored:
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 19, '07, 2:51 am

Let's get back to discussing what I believe was the original intent of the subject thread - items that we collect, etc. :yes:

I remembered something else that I have a few of in my collection - they are sort of like teddy bears, but they are little stuffed animals and snowmen that sing and dance to music.

Some of them are modeled after the characters from popular TV Christmas shows such as "Frosty The Snowman" and "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer". My favorites are "Frosty" and "The Abominable Snowman". "Frosty" sings and dances to the song "Frosty The Snowman" and Abominable sings and dances to "Have A Holly Jolly Christmas".

I also have a lion who sings and dances to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"., and a little tiger who sings and dances to "Eye Of The Tiger". They are all really cute and fun collectibles and I really enjoy listening to the music. :whistle:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Sun Aug 19, '07, 3:57 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:Hey guys, what do you say let's forget the "rat pack" and the "hoarder" stuff. That is all beginning to sound very unpleasant, if you get my drift. :bored:

I've honestly never heard of the term "hoarder". I guess everyone's definitions are different when it comes to things, as a "pack rat" to me just doesn't like throwing things out if there may be some use for it later. :p

(sorry, I was compelled to say something, I know you want this dropped)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Atolm » Sun Aug 19, '07, 6:04 am

I also collect comics too! My collection is not very big, I only have ... about two boxes worth.

I use to have a much bigger Marvel/DC collection too! Until it got tossed during spring cleaning. =/
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 19, '07, 6:21 pm

Atolm wrote:I also collect comics too! My collection is not very big, I only have ... about two boxes worth.

I use to have a much bigger Marvel/DC collection too! Until it got tossed during spring cleaning. =/

Atolm, I feel your pain on the loss of the comics. I too used to have a pretty good collection of older comics (1960's stuff, etc.) which were all lost! :cry: I had lots of super hero comics - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc., and other miscellaneous stuff. Really makes me sad to think about losing them. I've never started another comic collection.

I also had a pretty good collection of Wrestling magazines at one time. Anyone here a Wrestling fan?
Silver_Surfer1

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Aug 19, '07, 11:46 pm

I used to collect US coins and basketball cards when I was a kid. They must be buried somewhere in the horrid mess my parents call a basement. :lol:

I don't have anything that could be deemed as collecting as an adult.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Nov 19, '07, 5:32 am

Foreign coins: I've been collecting old coins since I was little. A local librarian gave me a large foriegn coin collection when I was 7.

Phantasy Star merchandise: I think this one is self exaplinatory.

Galoob Star Trek TNG action figures: I have everyone except the Benzite

Klingon weapons - So dar I have a Bat'leth and a MeqleH

Marvel Comics: At least 70 comics, most of which are Punisher and Spiderman.

Sega Genesis cartidges: I know this is a strange one, but I massed so many of the darn things when I was little that I decided to keep collecting them. The last time I counted them, I had 92. :D

Knives: I have a balisong (butterfly( knife, a kerambit knife, a large assortment of daggers, a handful of neck knives, two push daggers, one swiss "champ" knife, and two straight razors.

As far as obsessions go... I'm obsessed with Coheed and Cambria, Phantasy Star, knives, and Star Trek,
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 1:52 am

That's a looott of Genesis carts. I wouldn't know what do with all of them if I had that many.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:58 am

lol, that reminds me of our CD count, we have more than 100 games for PS1 alone, more than 30 for PS2. Somewhere around 150 games for playstion altogether. We never had more than 20 sega carts. Only ever had 3 Turbo Grafx whatever they are's and an unrememberable amount of computer games, mainly because they all keep getting lost and found.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Previous

Return to Casual Conversation