Collections! Obsessions! The stuff you spend money on!

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Collections! Obsessions! The stuff you spend money on!

Postby Atolm » Fri Aug 17, '07, 5:02 am

As the topic title says, any of you fine folk collect things of any meaning to you?

Rare coins?
That My Little Pony Collection in your closet?
Every single merchandise on your favorite cartoon/anime/video game/movie?
Maybe those tiny spoons that has a city's name on it?

Let's hear it!
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Re: Collections! Obsessions! The stuff you spend money on!

Postby Tsunami » Fri Aug 17, '07, 6:41 am

Atolm wrote:That My Little Pony Collection in your closet

Wow, does that take me back... When I was little, I used to collect those and play with 'em. Don't have them anymore, though. :lol:

Anyways, I can't say I collect many things, other than old Nintendos, games, and other various consoles if I like them.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 4:55 pm

I forget what they call it offhand, but I tend to be the kind of person who tries to "save" and "collect" almost everything to some degree. I can't stand to throw things away - I might need them one day, years down the road. :wink:

I have a few dolls/action figures that I have collected. Also some of those McDonald's happy meal toys. I have a few of those bicentennial quarters that were released a few years ago, and some of the new state quarters that have been released for a few years now, and some other older coins. Some old LP records (45's, 78's, etc.), and some other stuff.
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Divine Dragon » Fri Aug 17, '07, 6:27 pm

SS: The term would be hoarder.

I buy books, manga and games.

The books, mainly crime novels by Ian Rankin and Henning Mankell.

Manga, just anything I fancy.

Same for games, though mainly RPGs, and never sport games.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Tsunami » Sat Aug 18, '07, 12:57 am

Actually. That sounds more like a pack rat than a hoarder. I might be a pack rat to some degree when it comes to my old things, like if I wrote something down or even kept an old notebook. I never want to throw anything out unless I know that I have absolutely no use for it. :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sat Aug 18, '07, 1:08 am

I used to collect merchandise based on a few video games, mainly the early Legend of Zeldas. Nintendo really went all out with the merchandising back in the 80s.

I also collect some glassware and have a small collection of old or unusual coins.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Divine Dragon » Sat Aug 18, '07, 2:52 pm

Compulsive hoarding (or pathological hoarding) is a term which is used to describe extreme hoarding behaviour in humans. It involves the collection or failure to discard large numbers of objects even when their storage causes significant clutter and impairment to basic living activities such as moving around the house, cooking, cleaning or sleeping. Hoarding rubbish may be referred to as syllogomania. A slang term for a compulsive hoarder is pack rat or packrat.

I think Hoarder is enough for SS...
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 18, '07, 5:05 pm

Tsunami wrote:Actually. That sounds more like a pack rat than a hoarder. I might be a pack rat to some degree when it comes to my old things, like if I wrote something down or even kept an old notebook. I never want to throw anything out unless I know that I have absolutely no use for it. :D

Tsunami, that is the term I was thinking of - " pack rat " ! Thanks for reminding me! :yes:
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby al » Sat Aug 18, '07, 6:27 pm

I thought pack rat was a hoarder with storage skills, whereas a regular hoarder would just have a lot of stuff either laying around or stored inefficently.
I'm a hoarder in the sense that it's very hard for me to discard my less-than-useful items, luckily for me I rarely buy stuff.
al
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Atolm » Sat Aug 18, '07, 7:06 pm

I think pack rat is a collector of various miscellaneous stuff, maybe like newspapers, tool parts, stuff you do not really need but want to keep.
Hoarder would be keeping anything that you may have use of in the future. Although a Pet Hoarder is pretty scary. and messy...

Anyways, I shall answer my own question now. :D

My first collection is simply foreign coins, they just simply collected in a box and I had a pretty impressive collection (and some pretty old coins) until one day someone broke into my room and stole all of it. The collection was never recovered and I am now recollecting again.

As for a collection of anything I am a fan of, I have a pretty decent Panzer Dragoon Collection. Having almost all of the music cd's, books, and of course the games it self. I was very lucky to get a pewter statue that I had only seen on e-bay once three years ago. There is still more I want to collect but they are on sale for outrageous prices.

Lastly, the largest collection of all here is books. There are three large shelves full of books and at least one half the size. All are pretty much full and the bulk of the books is mainly history, reference, fiction and various Japanese books.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Next

Return to Casual Conversation