Diet Sodas

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Diet Sodas

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Feb 10, '11, 10:15 pm

Anyone here drink diet sodas?

A new study has found that diet sodas may increase the risk of having a stroke:

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-cent ... nk1|200546

I'm not too sure about that study though as it sounded a little far fetched to me. If I understand it correctly these people were followed for a period of nine years or so. I mean, there are so many other factors that could be considered as an influence in a period of 9 years, etc., that I really don't see how they could say it was only one thing, aka diet sodas, that might have attributed to someone's stroke, etc.

Personally, I don't drink diet sodas because I don't like the taste of them, and I really don't drink that many sodas period. I wouldn't let this study stop me from doing so though if I did drink them.

Comments or Opinions??

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Diet Sodas

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Feb 10, '11, 11:31 pm

I only drink diet ones because I've banned sugar from my diet
I don't care about these studies, mostly are exaggerated. If you avood all foods and drinks that may vause some disease, you will die much earlier by starvation :p
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Darkil » Fri Feb 11, '11, 3:26 am

Does anyone know what the leading cause of death is in the world?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Feb 11, '11, 7:56 am

It is living. 100% of people who lives die :p

On. A serious note, it is cardiovascular problems, followed by parasitic infections and then cancer. Apart from parasitic infections, which are mostly preventable and usually plague underdeveloped countries, it is a testimony of how far the science have gone. There are not many ways of dying left apart from cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 11, '11, 6:10 pm

The study seems fishy. There are a lot of different diet sodas, each made with different recipes. If the researchers didn't even track which diet sodas the participants were drinking and consider which ingredients might be responsible for any results, I have to wonder what else they overlooked. Soda recipes do change over time, so even someone drinking a diet soda nine years ago might not get the same thing in the same brand today.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Tue Feb 15, '11, 1:31 pm

tilinelson2 wrote:It is living. 100% of people who lives die :p

You are correct! Lol I thought I was being clever! I think this study is a bit off, there have been reports admitting that there is no conclusive proof of this and that they only studied certain races that appear to have a higher chance of passing due to certain circumstances.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Feb 16, '11, 3:06 pm

I think I find fault with the way the study was conducted. There is nothing about the participants being asked about their soda consumption changing over time, only at the beginning. It doesn't talk about the groups being equal sized and if they were split into 7 groups among about 2500 participants, I would say the results may be statistically insignificant, unless the study can be replicated several times to address these flaws and several others. Also, no account for different sodas, different ingredients, etc., which all indicate poor control measures.

All in all, not a very good scientific study. It's worth studying more, but with better, more detailed methods and better control measures that can be replicated, as that's how real science works.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Delectable Delicacies