Cleopatra's Tomb

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Cleopatra's Tomb

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 27, '09, 9:41 pm

Did you hear the news that archaeologists think they may have found the 2000 year old tomb of Cleopatra and Mark Antony in Egypt? Wow!!!! This is exciting. :hyper:

Almost everyone has heard of Cleopatra and Mark Antony and their story, etc. If nothing else from watching the movie starring actress Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra! :wink: Cleopatra is a fascinating subject.

Although, as much as I find it exciting to learn more about the lives and the grave of these two very famous people, I also find it a little bit desecrating and sad to disturb their final resting places, etc. How do you feel about it?

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/hea ... 41788.html

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Cleopatra's Tomb

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Apr 27, '09, 10:25 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I also find it a little bit desecrating and sad to disturb their final resting places, etc. How do you feel about it?
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/hea ... 41788.html

Better archaeologists discovering it, though, than grave robbers, eh? ;)

But aye - this is super exciting. Cleopatra VII is a fascinating historical person; a powerful female of Greek Ptolemaic decent (i.e., she was the decendant of Ptolemy I Soter, Alexander the Great's general). She is described by Plutarch to be highly intelligent and spoke many languages fluently, and she was enemy to Octavius Augustus -- the greatest Roman emperor -- possibly had one son by Julius Caesar (since it is debated whether Caesarion's father was actually Caesar), with three by Marcus Antonius.

If anyone is up for a good read on her, check out Cleopatra: Beyond the myth by Michel Chauveau. I've found it to be highly informative.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Tue Apr 28, '09, 8:38 am

Funny when those archaeologist found and took back some of King Tut's possession and his body they all died not long after the so called Tut's Curse. What if the same were to imply with Cleo.... :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Tue Apr 28, '09, 1:36 pm

I love things like this! I know the History Channel was supposed to have a show about this but I don't remember when it was coming on so I probably missed it :cry: One thing of note for all you history buffs, History Channel did a recent show on Egypt's lost King/Queen Hepshatsut [sp?]. Basically she took over as King of Egypt when her husband died [she dressed as a man] and when she passed on a rival of her's [which ended up being her step son] had her removed from history [ie they chipped away her name and broke statues of her]. It's a pretty interesting story.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 29, '09, 4:10 pm

At least the tomb's been found by someone that will treat it with a little bit of respect. It's too bad that our society has to learn about their society by going into their graves, but hopefully we can at least gain some worthwhile knowledge from this discovery.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Casual Conversation