The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Drawn or CGI, animated movies and shows fit well with the gaming crowd.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby Lucas » Fri Dec 17, '10, 12:40 am

I only very recently got into this obscure anime series, I came across the first episode on youtube by accident while searching for another anime. So I watched it and was blown away at its quirkiness and awesomeness. This eventually lead to me buying the first season (14 episodes in total) earlier this week on a 4 disc set thanks to Madman Entertainment.

Anyway the show actually starts out quite innocent and comedic dealing with a group of high school kids and the main character being Haruhi who puts them through various activities and events after they joined her “SOS brigade” club. It had a lot of things that really made me laugh, I've never laughed at an anime this much before. Anyway after thinking it was basically going to be a school-yard kind of adventure show the series took a big flip and got a bit more serious with its plot-line and themes, talk about alternate realities, closed spaces, psychic beings, the ability to change the world as we know it, and talk about gods and humanoid aliens sent from space to monitor certain events. But it really seemed to stay well on track even with all these serious themes introduced they were still able to keep it comedic and have relaxed episodes. One involves the group taking part in a baseball game.

To dumb it down and stop my pointless rambling are there any other fans of this series on the boards?, if not I’d highly recommend you check this series out. I have plans to get the second season as well which was released last month in Australia. If you guys have any questions about this series please ask, keep in mind though I’ve only seen the first season. There is also a movie too, which I’m quite eager to know more about.

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view ... n-slimpack

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Re: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby MrKite » Fri Dec 17, '10, 3:54 am

I do not like Haruhi, I do not like it, Sam I Am.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Celeith » Sat Dec 18, '10, 3:09 am

If you liked Haruhi then you'd love Lucky Star
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Snorb » Sat Dec 18, '10, 4:18 am

I blame this series for how I write Shir.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby MrKite » Sat Dec 18, '10, 12:21 pm

Kaloes wrote:If you liked Haruhi then you'd love Lucky Star

Gah! I don't like Lucky Star either! *runs and hides*
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Lucas » Sat Dec 18, '10, 1:08 pm

Kaloes wrote:If you liked Haruhi then you'd love Lucky Star

Yeah I’ve heard Lucky Star shares a few similarities to Haruhi.
Another reason I liked this series is because it gave me a break from all my other anime. If anyone was to look at my anime collection they would see its all action/ sci-fi/ martial arts/ violence stuff. So watching this was really good just to break away from anime I'm used to watching. :wink:

Lucas
Protector
Protector

Postby Tweeg » Sun Jan 9, '11, 4:01 am

*Owns the limited edition Season 1 DVD volumes from Bandai Entertainment*

You are going to get a kick out of this. This is a video of inmates at a prison in the Philippines performing the Haruhi Dance:
http://kotaku.com/325212/the-haruhi-dan ... w-in-color

Also, there is a season 2. Not a clue how it is though as it's still a bit to high for me to consider buying it.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Lucas » Sun Jan 9, '11, 10:12 am

Yeah it's a crazy dance that one. I ended up buying season two a few days before Christmas. I did enjoy it but the “Endless Eight” saga got kind of tedious considering a lot of stuff was repeated in those eight episodes, but it's Haruhi so it was still quite enjoyable, season two had nothing over season one though in my opinion. I'd say It's still worth getting though. :wink:
Attachments
haruhi-seasons1-2.jpg
My copies of season 1 & 2
haruhi-seasons1-2.jpg (184.34 KiB) Viewed 7181 times

Lucas
Protector
Protector

Postby Xander » Wed May 11, '11, 2:12 pm

I actually just got hold of season 1 today and watched the first volume. Unfortunately a sore back meant I wasn't able to laugh so much, but all the same it was really funny stuff.
I'll need to see if I can get season 2 when I'm done with this. So far all I've found are copies for other regions, so I'll need to see if my DVD player can use them.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Wing Eye » Thu May 12, '11, 4:28 am

I own the 1st volume on DVD, I really enjoyed it and would love to get more, but my money situation won't allow it.
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Next

Return to Awesome Animation