Glitches/Bugs You've Encountered

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Glitches/Bugs You've Encountered

Postby Tsunami » Tue Oct 9, '07, 12:49 pm

Okay, I thought up this idea after reading another thread. :D Share any bugs/glitches you've found while playing a game!

One thing I recently discovered in Breath of Fire 3 while I was playing it happened just as I entered battle. Now, the game's 3D to the extent that it's at an angle and you can adjust the camera position to check behind the front left and right walls. Anyways, I was standing right behind a ledge in Angel Tower (place that's midway through the game) when I got into a battle. To my surprise, my characters appeared on the ledge, and I didn't even have to go through the trouble of moving stones around to reach it!

Another glitch I found was in Dragon Warrior 3 at the very end. There's a spell called "Invisible" that only has one purpose; makes you invisible to the NPCs so they can't see you. (comes in handy for getting past guards in a castle) What I did was cast Invisible before going to talk to the king at the end, and to my surprise, the king talked as normal -- even though my party didn't appear. They did show up again when the king said to step forward, magically appearing as they turned around to face the screen. May not necessarily be be much of a bug, but I found it entertaining. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 9, '07, 4:37 pm

I've found a bunch of glitches over the years. In Zelda: Link to the Past there are some invisible enemies in the swamp that I found and wrote an FAQ on.

When I was playing Marvel: Ulimate Alliance recently, I used the Silver Surfer character on a snowy level. He can fly, so I made him fly up... and he just kept going up. Normally there's a limit on how high you can fly, but he passed it somehow. I even took up through a layer that served as the night sky, and beyond that into total blackness. When I got bored I took him back down and he when through the ground until he eventually died.

I had a similar experience in Batman Begins. I jumped off a wall to the ground and passed right through it. He just kept falling and falling.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atolm » Tue Oct 9, '07, 10:07 pm

Ecco: DOTF has a TON of glitches, so much that it has a glitch section on one of the fan sites: http://web8.orcaserver.de/ecco/glitches/

Glitches include also being able to swim outside of the level!

Morrowind has its fair share of glitches, the most memorable one for me was when I was walking through a LARGE city called Vivic, I decided to jump down the stairs and land on the ground. I did just that...

and fell through the ground and had the ENTIRE island above me and I was able to move about. It was pretty funny now that I think about it.
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Oct 10, '07, 1:29 am

I could write a book on Advent Rising bugs, (getting stuck inside railing, jumping upward repeatedly forever, game triggers never activating to move the story on, etc.)

In Mario 64 I found one of the stars accidently on the second area by going into first-person view while standing up against a wall, which let you look through the wall, and all the others from that vantage point.

There's a PSII glitch where you can get two Neislashers, (or any other equipment) by equipping, removing and immediately exiting the equip menu. When you go back, it'll be equipped on Anna, but it will be available to even give to someone else with it still usable by her! I don't ever use it though, since it is such obvious cheating! :oath:

One of the Maddens, (2004, I think) had all sorts of bugs. Once there was a fumble when a QB was sacked an injured, and no one was able to pick it up, but it could be kicked. A 15 minute rugby session ensued until the ball was finally kicked out of bounds. Every once in a while you would score and get the ball back again at kickoff.

I'm sure there are many others, but those are the few I can remember right now.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 10, '07, 4:18 am

That PSII glitch reminds me of one in the original Wild Arms. It had an item duplication glitch, too. This made the game extremely broken if you took advantage of it. There was an item that when used, permanently reduced the MP cost of a character's attacks by 1 point. Using this glitch, it was possible to reduce all his costs to just 1 MP. :o
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Oct 11, '07, 12:30 am

Thoul wrote:That PSII glitch reminds me of one in the original Wild Arms. It had an item duplication glitch, too. This made the game extremely broken if you took advantage of it. There was an item that when used, permanently reduced the MP cost of a character's attacks by 1 point. Using this glitch, it was possible to reduce all his costs to just 1 MP. :o
Wow, that's even worse than the PSII glitch!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 11, '07, 6:15 pm

There's a PSII glitch where you can get two Neislashers, (or any other equipment) by equipping, removing and immediately exiting the equip menu. When you go back, it'll be equipped on Anna, but it will be available to even give to someone else with it still usable by her! I don't ever use it though, since it is such obvious cheating! :oath:
That reminds me of a W-Item materia glitch that allows you to duplicate usable items in battle. :D Boy, did I ever abuse that one...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Tue Oct 16, '07, 2:53 am

Glitches, glitches... I ran into one bad one when playing Dark Cloud 2. The game will lock up on an early loading screen if you do something wrong. I think it was if you leave the first dungeon before completing three levels.

I've had a few games lock up on me. Breath of Fire III was bad about that, if I remember right.

Diablo has an item duplication glitch, too. I know I've seen some more, but those are all that come to mind offhand.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Tech and Design