For the future: 1st or 3rd person

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

For the future: 1st or 3rd person

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 30, '07, 11:48 am

If Sega were to continue the series with a new game or a remake of Phantasy Star IV, what kind of dungeon experience would you want that game to have? Should it continue the traditional overhead view used by most RPGs? The original concept for PSIV was to use first person dungeons like those in Phantasy Star I, but that was dropped when the game moved off a CD platform. With the power of modern systems taken into account, would it be a good thing to bring back for a new game?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sun Dec 30, '07, 1:21 pm

I couldn't imagine it being 1st person -- I like it how it is. If it were 1st person, the experience wouldn't be the same for me.

All in all, I appreciate the classic 3rd person approach. That, and seeing the sprites running around on the screen is pretty cool. :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Dec 31, '07, 12:25 am

I hate first person, did you know some people can't even stand the view, they get motion sickness from it. While the overhead games are fine. Plus it looks funner when you can see who you are. I think I've played games before where you never see any part of you. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 31, '07, 9:35 pm

I think I would like to see a bit of a combination of the two. Something like Phantasy Star's dungeons, but being able to see the characters walking through them rather than looking through their eyes. It's not quite first person and not as much of an overhead view (unless the camera was tiltable maybe).
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Classic Series