And now for something more creative.

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

And now for something more creative.

Postby Xander » Fri May 28, '10, 2:30 pm

4 pictures at 640x480. Sorry 56Kers. :-P

I occasionally do a few of these things every now and then. I think it all started when I decided I wanted to do something creative but knew I couldn't draw worth a damn. So I figured I could just take something and paint it up. :D The only downside being that these are small and fiddly to do, being no more than 2 inches tall in most cases. I should probably look into a summer class in graphic design or whatever, seeing how I'm not going to be doing this stuff for much longer. :-P

Also, apologies for the washing in the photos. Getting the light right for these things is never easy. :/
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: And now for something more creative.

Postby Tanith » Fri May 28, '10, 7:00 pm

That's really good! I would have no patience for that at all; I admire the detail you put into your painting!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Fri May 28, '10, 8:57 pm

Thanks. Always nice to hear. :)

Doing the work over the course of a few weeks helps. As does being subjected to bad weather. So does leaving assembly until last, it makes it much much easier to do all those fiddly bits without getting paint on completed parts. Then you just stick it together and it's done. Plus I didn't use much in the way of colour, the red armour was done with 3 shades of red and a wash of black ink. Priming was a cinch with spray on paint as well. :p

If you want, I have more of my earlier models to show. Just give the word anyone and I'll post a few more pics.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri May 28, '10, 9:19 pm

One word Xander. WOW. That is just... amazing work. Like Tanith said, I don't have the patience for something that intricate. Another reason I don't paint. ;)
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Thoul » Fri May 28, '10, 9:44 pm

I am amazed at the detail and intricacy. I have a few unpainted Japanese figures kind of like that (they're smaller though, only about an inch), but I would never be able to muster the patience and attention to detail that you've shown with this one.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Xander » Fri May 28, '10, 10:50 pm

Lol Lyla, I'd actually say the same about what work you've posted up here. :p But you should see some of the stuff that gets entered into the modelling competitions, my god! :o It makes my stuff look rough and unfinished. You know people will actually pay good money to have people paint up armies of these for them? No thanks.

As for patience, it's like a callous in that it takes time to build up, trust me. It can be learned. :) Getting a feel for the brushes and paints is half the battle too. And as I said, I painted this model before assembling it, so the arms, heard, cloak, trophy racks and base were all done seperately before being attached to the body. Much easier to do. ;) My techniques are generally pretty basic and kind of rough too, but then painting surfaces like this never makes it easy.

Anyhoo, I have one more model to do in a sorcerer variant of this one. It's been primed for weeks and I want to get it done before long. I've come up with a paint scheme that, come to think of it, actually bears a striking resemblance to Lassic. lol Except Lassic didn't have a tome chained to his armour or a big gun. He does have a staff though. Besides, it could be my last model ever. Later this year i'll hopefully be joining the military so I won't have the time or room for miniatures. Hence why I'm so keen to get into drawing instead. It would certainly take less room and be easier to come back to after time away. Plus pictures tend not to have parts drop off if packed away wrong or squashed. :D

Anyways guys, thank you very much for the feedback. It really means a lot. To show my appreciation, here are a few more that I've done over the last couple of years.

Anyways, enjoy. :)

And apologies for stretching the page too. Photobucket won't resize that last one for me for some reason.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri May 28, '10, 10:52 pm

Wow, Xander. That's awesome. I like how the colours blend naturally and how bright they are.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Tanith » Sat May 29, '10, 4:11 am

Look at those wings; that's amazing, Xander!

You don't need my permission to post more miniatures. I say make this a running thread!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Lucas » Sat May 29, '10, 1:32 pm

Well done dude they do look awesome. :clap:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat May 29, '10, 1:34 pm

Wow! I admire your patience, talent and skill in painting these! Awesome!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Artwork