Challenged Books

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Challenged Books

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 15, '10, 8:03 pm

Some news out on the top ten "most challenged" books for the past year of 2009, which were books that schools and libraries in the US were asked to remove from their shelves.

The books were "challenged" for various reasons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100414/us_ ... challenged

Comments or Opinions?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Challenged Books

Postby Thoul » Thu Apr 15, '10, 8:14 pm

I'm rather surprised to learn that there are books written entirely in chatroom abbreviations. That's kind of disturbing, in a way. I'm not very surprised by the others. I haven't read any of them, but they're fairly popular. Someone always challenges the popular stuff.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Apr 16, '10, 1:46 am

Banning books is NEVER a good idea. Why restrict the flow of ideas? All banning something does is make it more appealing. Twilight? Seriously? I don't care for that series, but get real, people... :roll:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tanith » Fri Apr 16, '10, 2:14 am

Thoul wrote:I'm rather surprised to learn that there are books written entirely in chatroom abbreviations. That's kind of disturbing, in a way.

No kidding. Something like that would make my brain hurt, as it actually takes me longer to decipher text messages than, you know, real writing.

Most of the challenged books just make me roll my eyes (the people challenging them, that is). I'm with CW. Hahaha, Twilight? I can't believe people care enough to think Twilight is so eeeeeeeevil in the first place. It's probably the silliest interpretation of "vampires," anyway.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Return to Leapin' Library