Cause of the Dark, Phantasy Star III Dark Force piano cover

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: Cause of the Dark, Phantasy Star III Dark Force piano co

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 28, '14, 9:30 pm

BRAGATYR : It sures didn't sound half bad ! You can be very proud of this and I hope there is gonna be a lot of other Phantasy Stars pièces on piano cover ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Mar 2, '14, 8:51 pm

I fiiiiinally got a chance to listen to this (yay weekend!). As always, awesome work! PSIII had such great music, and for some reason, this piece doesn't seem to get a whole lot of attention.

I know how hard it is to keep those rhythmic left hand parts going steady*, so major thumbs up on that front. Refresh my memory - are you still recording both hands independently? If so, you did a really good job lining up the accents/emphasized notes.

And as I said in the other thread, cool artwork! (I'm jealous you can do both!)

(*Professional pianists have blown out their left wrists trying to do Schubert's Der Erlkönig. Good thing I'm not a professional pianist, and I've never even attempted it!)
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby myau56 » Sun Mar 2, '14, 9:17 pm

AUGMENTEDFOURTH : It's true that PSIII has great music, the greatest from all the classsic PS serie ! So maybe it's hard to choose which one is the best among the others :)
As for me I'm double jealous as I can't draaw AND I can't play piano :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Mar 2, '14, 10:39 pm

Ha ha, thank you, augmentedfourth, I really appreciate it. You know, I was actually thinking of Der Erlkönig when I was fooling around with the bass part on this one, that's quite a coincidence. It's definitely the craziest bass line I could think of offhand in classical music. I really love that song, we studied it in good old Music Appreciation in college, ha ha. I would not want to play it for four minutes straight, I think any normal person's hand would fall off. I appreciate it about the rhythm, speaking of that, but I really felt like at a few points my left hand just wasn't obeying my mental commands, especially the second time the bass shifts up to D. I need to train with Eye of the Tiger playing in the background to do fast bass parts!

But yeah, I probably need to start recording actual videos with these things, just to show that I really do play them. Any time I label a song a piano cover it's strictly two-handed piano. Anything else I'll go in and record the parts separately, saves me the time and is a lot easier than learning them together, when that's even feasible.

Also, Aeroprism, I am ready to whip out the air guitar and my no-longer-existent long hair, ha ha. I would really like to see you rock this song, I think that would be amazing. I wish I could get my guitarist friend to go in on it, we could do a massive collaboration and destroy it. And myau, you are so right, this game's soundtrack is amazing. Not always the best game in the series, but it matches up pretty well musically.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Aeroprism » Sun Mar 2, '14, 11:14 pm

This song is currently in the process of being rocked. It's a project I started oh... a year ago maybe? Basically it's another medley. I loved doing one for PS2 so much, I HAD to do one for PS3, especially since most PS3 songs loop after that... 15 seconds? It's hard to make a solid remix with just that. Well, if I was any good at composition, maybe, but considering that my grasp for musical theory is virtually non-existent, I prefer to work with existing content, mix and match and ultimately improve on it. So yeah, so far it's four different PS3 songs in a frantic rock/electro mix.

It has It remained shelved for some 6-8 months before I recently hit a major inspiration spree. For the last two weeks I have been working on it every day for as much as 3-4 hours a day, it's really getting there!

Unfortunately, two days ago, I crashed on another block. The Dark Force theme is incredibly hard to render in the mix I'm making. Not to worry. With enough perseverance, obscene amounts of coffee and a few swear words, all blocks eventually yield in favor of good results.

Cooperation eh? You're the second person to ever suggest that to me (the other guy was a youtube subscriber who wanted to work with me but never followed up). I wonder how that might work. I'm always game to try new stuff though!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby myau56 » Wed Mar 5, '14, 12:34 pm

AEROPRISM : Bonne chance pour ton projet ! Good luck for your project ! :) Sure you'll need a lot of cofees and maybe some help ? Hope all is going to be all right ! :) :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Previous

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More