Nintendo blamed in Dog Attack

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Nintendo blamed in Dog Attack

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 29, '10, 8:20 pm

We've all heard someone blaming video games for causing violence in teenagers, but a recent news story put a new twist on the old story. Now a game is being blamed for inciting a dog to attack a young girl. I wish I could give a link to the full story, but I can't due to inappropriate content.

The girl, age nine, was playing Nintendogs on a DS, while a family friend's dog, described as a "bull mastiff cross," was nearby. The dog bit the girl in the face several times and tore off her upper lip. The dog, of course, was put down, but the local police say there was nothing illegal about the incident.

The girl's grandmother blames Nintendo, saying this game provoked the dog when a barking sound was played in the game. She's calling for games to now have warnings about playing near dogs. The girl's mother is apparently on vacation and hasn't cared enough to return home, even though her daughter had to have surgery to reattach a lip.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Nintendo blamed in Dog Attack

Postby Xander » Wed Sep 29, '10, 8:34 pm

One word: Ridiculous. That is all.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 29, '10, 9:04 pm

Thoul wrote:The girl's grandmother blames Nintendo, saying this game provoked the dog when a barking sound was played in the game. She's calling for games to now have warnings about playing near dogs.

It may sound silly, but I have to agree with the Grandmother here about the warning only, but not about Nintendo being at fault. Why not have a warning, they have warnings for other outrageous things. And, if it may help from even one single child or person being in a dangeous situation, so be it. Even with a warning though, it still remains to be seen whether anyone would even take the time or trouble to adhere to the warning. :yaknow:
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Wed Sep 29, '10, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby MrKite » Wed Sep 29, '10, 9:11 pm

Well that is a sad story, but wanting to put a warning on the games about dogs?
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 29, '10, 10:52 pm

I wonder if in a few weeks we'll be hearing about the family suing Nintendo. :roll: I guess putting a warning on it is fine so in case they DO get sued for this, a warning would, theoretically, prevent them from getting sued again in the future. So it could at least cover their own backsides, but still. It's pretty ridiculous.

But more inflammatory is the mom. Shame on the mother for not coming home for her daughter! :down:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby DrkTr14ce » Thu Sep 30, '10, 4:20 pm

....That's....plausible, but come on, the likelihood of it happening again doesn't warrant the need for a warning label. I mean, if the family sues Nintendo, fine, but if they sure for ANYTHING beyond the medical bills, I'm going to be supremely mad.

Also, I agree: Shame on the mother.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Return to Amazing Animals