How many is too many?

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

How many is too many?

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 16, '09, 6:28 pm

I've often heard news stories about people having tons of pets in their house. Sometimes they have so many that it creates a health hazard and government officials seek to put a stop to it. Here's one such recent story: Couple have 152 animals at house.

In your opinion, where should the line of having too many pets be drawn?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: How many is too many?

Postby AJS » Sun Aug 16, '09, 7:22 pm

I think it depends on your circumstances, where you live etc.

I think I might be pushing it a bit having 5 dogs, 4 cats and a rabbit in a two bedroomed house but we have a big garden and lots of great walks for the dogs nearby. I wouldn't have anymore though.

152 is a total * take, even if they are home 24/7 I can't see how they can give adequate care to them. :(
AJS
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 17, '09, 5:00 pm

You have too many when you can't tend time to all of them equally.
Tom
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 7

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Aug 17, '09, 5:16 pm

152? That's a bit much...but on this issue I basically agree with Tom. It's too many pets if you can't adequately care for them. I would say the only thing you can maybe have 152 of without it being too much is some kind of really small fish smaller than an inch long, as the rule of thumb for aquariums is 1 gallon of water minimum per inch of animal (not counting long longs, decorative fins, etc.)
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 17, '09, 5:22 pm

I would agree that you have too many if you can't take care of them individually. I also agree that 100 or so is way too many, unless maybe you live on a farm or something like that where a lot of animals might be expected and have free land to roam, live, etc. (horses, chickens, cows, cats, dogs, goats, etc., etc., etc.)

In some places especially when you rent or something like that you are not even allowed to have pets any longer.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Aug 17, '09, 5:32 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:In some places especially when you rent or something like that you are not even allowed to have pets any longer.

Yup. As an example, the place I'm moving this Friday, cats are allowed (with a $200 pet deposit and a list of rules for them) but dogs aren't allowed at all. I've looked around and other apartments the realty company owns allow both, neither, or just dogs. Fortunately, aquariums are allowed as long as the company knows it's there.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Amazing Animals