Fan remake, RMXP or own engine

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Fan remake, RMXP or own engine

Postby PSjunkie » Tue Nov 23, '10, 8:02 pm

I'm real keen on making a phantasy star fan remake, but the problem is, well not really a problem. I just can't decide, so I'm looking for some imput. I could either go the easy way and use RMXP and learn a little scripting or go the harder, maybe even more fun way and definitely more control and freedom of making my own game engine. Even if I use RMXP or my own engine I will use PS4 sprites, characters etc etc and just modify them where needed. I don't think I have already answered my own question, I'm just looking for outside feedback. If I do make my own engine it will be in C++.

Thanks guys and take it easy.

P.S. I just finished a 10 hour night shift so excuse any grammar, puncutation or sentence structure errors. :D
Last edited by PSjunkie on Tue Nov 23, '10, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 30

Re: Fan remake, RMXP or own engine

Postby xellos667 » Tue Nov 23, '10, 9:03 pm

A custom engine will always be more impressive as an overall project as the usual RPG Maker fangame. That's just me though
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 23, '10, 10:52 pm

Using your own engine will allow you more control and learn more about the game creation process, but it will also mean you'll be working on your game longer. The benefit of RPG Maker is that a lot of the grunt work of game making is already done for you. I'd say go for your own engine, but only if you don't mind the extra time and work it will add to the project.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby PSjunkie » Wed Nov 24, '10, 12:07 pm

I want to practice spriting and recolouring. Does anyone know where I can get every single sprite, battle character, enemy animation and tileset of PS1, 2 and 4? I would like to start practising on PS1 graphics 1st as they are the easiest to replicate.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Postby Celeith » Fri Nov 26, '10, 6:59 pm

I'm not sure if it has tilesets and whatnot but I know SpriteDataBase has all of the PSIV character sprites
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby PSjunkie » Sun Nov 28, '10, 9:14 am

Thanks Kaloes, I already knew about TheSpriteDatabase. It has alot what I'm after, but not the tilesets.
I PM'ed Thoul, I'm just waiting for a reply from him now.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 29, '10, 10:09 pm

I'll repeat what I said in my PM reply here, in case it might help someone else later on. I've never seen sprite sheets for PSIV's enemies or any complete tile sets for the game. With so many enemies, I just think no one ever took the time to make a sprite sheet for all of them.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby PSjunkie » Tue Nov 30, '10, 6:53 pm

Thoul, thank you for replying and posting here, also I had the same idea about wolfgang and already emailed him. :)

I'm currently doing my annual PS1-4 run and PSG1-2 run again, when I finish PS4 the likely hood of me getting a PS4 rom and manually ripping the tilesets and a full set of enemies and their animations is highly likely(will take me awhile to do). I'll update you guys when I'm so far and maybe when I'm done they can hopefully be put on PSalgo for all to use. :)

P.S. Excuse the grammar, just did a 10 hour shift and I'm tired as.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More