Disney buys Marvel

Sports, movies, music, TV, and other forms of fun.

Disney buys Marvel

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 2, '09, 1:47 am

Have you heard....Disney has bought Marvel comics for about $4 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/co ... /index.htm

This sounds like a very smart and profitable venture for Disney, and probably Marvel too in the long run.

What do you think of all this?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Disney buys Marvel

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 2, '09, 3:16 am

I'm not sure what to think of it. It could be good or bad, depending on how much influence Disney decides to exert on Marvel. Marvel has been very successful in the last few years, thanks to their movie successes.

On the one hand, Disney will be able to provide a lot more funding for Marvel movies. Marvel has started producing most of those in-house. If Disney doesn't mess with that, it could mean great things. On the other hand, Marvel's big rival, DC, was bought by Disney's big rival, Warner Bros., years ago. That pretty much ruined DC in the movie business. They've had big hits like Superman and Batman, but that's all. Marvel's had movie success with a lot more characters on their own. I hope this movie doesn't have a negative impact on Marvel's movies like it did on DC's.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Wed Sep 2, '09, 3:44 am

I just hope that Disney doesn’t turn all the Marvel franchise family friendly and set it in the eyes of little children because that’s basically the entertainment business Disney resides in. Where as lots of Marvel storylines were aimed at teenagers and adults. As long as they don't wreck X-men I'll be happy.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 2, '09, 5:19 am

I think that's one thing we probably don't have to worry about. Disney owns some movie studios, like Touchstone Pictures, that produce R rated movies. There may be an increase in Marvel comics aimed at children, but Marvel should still be able to make storylines for more mature ages too.

I could see Disney maybe giving the all ages line Marvel Adventures a bigger push or possibly using Marvel's resources for Mickey Mouse comics. It should exclude the current books, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Wed Sep 2, '09, 1:43 pm

Who knows what they'll do. Maybe we'll see the Lion King-pin
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54