Time for closure.

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Farewell to the Doctor

Farewell to the Doctor

View Gallery Page

Time for closure.

Postby Xander » Wed Jul 7, '10, 11:03 pm

As some of you may have heard earlier I was planning to do a tribute piece for Tanith's fic featuring Rudo and Amy inspired by the same fic. After hitting a snag or two I finally managed to finish drawing Rudo as best I could and get the picture finished.

This is taken from the scene when Rudo finds out Amy has let her family believe she is dead and urges her to say goodbye to them one last time before they leave for Dezolis, rather than having them remember her as a traitor.

As for the art itself, I used very little reference material this time, working mostly with the compendium image of Rudo, but with a few changes of my own. It shows. :D
Last edited by Xander on Thu Jul 8, '10, 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: Farewell to the Doctor

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 7, '10, 11:34 pm

I think it looks nice, Xander! Aw, don't be so hard on yourself, tsk! :clap:

It's nice to see original images like this; this is what I'd like to see more of, rather than rehashing of compendium and official Sega images (I know they're popular and awesome, but original work is always refreshing, ya know?).

Anyway, what's so artistic about this piece is the emotion Amy is expressing, and it is definitely an illustration to scenes from Tanith's fic.

If you want my honest opinion, I think this is very well done; it's very refreshing and original, and I can't wait to see more from you! :grouphug:
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Wed Jul 7, '10, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Wed Jul 7, '10, 11:51 pm

I have to agree with RW that it is great to see some original images dude, and you did quite well. :clap:

and all this colour…I should really consider getting myself self some colour pencils for my drawings too. :idea:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 11:55 pm

Yeah, I think it's awesome too, Lucas. You did a very good job here. The colors are spectacular! :clap: Looking forward to seeing what you do with Rudo. :yes:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tanith » Thu Jul 8, '10, 12:01 am

Oh, this is just wonderful, Xander! You did really well capturing an emotional moment, and I'm loving the originality of it. You should be proud! Very much looking forward to seeing Rudo, too!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Time for closure.

Postby Xander » Thu Jul 8, '10, 8:34 am

Ok folks, It is done. Rudo has been redrawn from scratch and added into the image.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Thu Jul 8, '10, 7:21 pm

ZOMG!!! I love waking up to nice surprises! Xander, do you have any idea how honored I am here? I'm just... wow. I got the biggest warm fuzzy! Rudo and Amy both look great; ready for some closure! Awwww... *sniff* Fabulous job on Rudo's armor and hair, too. He doesn't look so, um, old, like he does in that Compendium pic. He looks like someone who's 35, not 50. Perfect!

And hey, it's sunset! (Algolset?) That's full of win!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Xander » Thu Jul 8, '10, 7:32 pm

Thanks Tanith. I'm glad you like it and that Rudo looks younger. If you should wish to use this to go along with your fic then feel free to do so. :) I'll fix you up with the full version when you need it.

While I think I could have done a better job of Rudo, considering how disastrous the previous attempt was and that the drawing was a little different, I'm fine with it. The shoulder guards and chest piece were actually coloured with a silver pencil. Thankfully the colour has barely any metallic qualities and so provided a nice gray finish. The highlighting on the suit could always be revisited too. Anyhoo, at least that's another character I can draw now. :D

Now here's something I didn't realise until after finishing this today, but I only made Amy's hair and cloak blow in the wind because I felt like trying something out. I was re-reading the chapter this morning and laughed when I found that it mentions her hair being blown about. What a pleasant coincidence. :)

Anyways, I'm off to finish up the Rune piece i'm drawing for RW. back in a while. :)

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Fri Jul 9, '10, 5:26 am

Xander wrote:Thanks Tanith. I'm glad you like it and that Rudo looks younger. If you should wish to use this to go along with your fic then feel free to do so. :) I'll fix you up with the full version when you need it.)
I do want it, but I'm in sort of a story crisis at the moment. I'm seriously considering removing the chapter from the story and letting it be its own side story. This is something I'm going to be thinking about a lot over the next few days as I'm writing this next chapter. I'm not sure I'm keen on the flashback now. Gah. Sorry, no more thread derailment.

Anyway, if you do have a higher res version, send it to my inbox, please! I'm going to attach it to the chapter once I decide what I'm doing with it, whether I'm keeping "Family Ties" in this story or letting it be its own story.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 9, '10, 11:09 pm

Great job on Rudo, Xander! He and Amy look very good together there. :)
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Artwork