I want to
No votes
I don't want to
No votes
What the heck is Earthbound?
No votes

Total votes : 1

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Oct 17, '08, 9:24 pm

The patch is out! :hyper: I was impressed with how easy it was to apply the patch to a Japanese rom, they provided the necessary software for Linux, Windows and Mac right with the patch. I've only taken a quick peek at it because I have to do the last part of Earthbound, but I tested it and it seemed very good. So tonight...I will finally play Mother 3! :mrgreen:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lemina » Fri Oct 17, '08, 10:25 pm

Tomorrow my sister and I are planning to get a new computer. I'll have to download the rom and patch on that. :hyper:

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sat Oct 18, '08, 8:12 am

Strange. I can't seem to get the patch to work for me...

The thing claims that the Rom will work because it was properly patched, and it does create a new file with ".original" as an extention, and so Visual Boy Advance won't play it. I've thought about removing that extention, but assumed that it would screw up the file. Any suggestions?
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Oct 18, '08, 3:21 pm

Last night I got through all of Chapter 1. ^_^ Took me three hours of gameplay time, but I had about half an hour of replaying through a part because I accidentally dropped my weapon and I had no idea when a new one would be available, so I reloaded my last save game.

DrkTr14ce wrote:Strange. I can't seem to get the patch to work for me...

The thing claims that the Rom will work because it was properly patched, and it does create a new file with ".original" as an extention, and so Visual Boy Advance won't play it. I've thought about removing that extention, but assumed that it would screw up the file. Any suggestions?

Hmmm...I use Visual Boy Advance too, and it worked fine for me. However, when I open the emulator and tell it to open the ROM, it immediately goes to open Mother 3.gba. In the folder for my Mother 3 rom, there's a Mother 3.gba file and Mother 3.gba.original file. Drk (do you mind if I call you that?), I think you're trying to open the backup of the original Japanese rom that the patching software creates, which I think is the .original file. I don't know if you noticed, but in the patching software, there was a checkbox that said 'create backup?'. I'm assuming it does that in case it errs in patching the rom.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sat Oct 18, '08, 7:18 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Hmmm...I use Visual Boy Advance too, and it worked fine for me. However, when I open the emulator and tell it to open the ROM, it immediately goes to open Mother 3.gba. In the folder for my Mother 3 rom, there's a Mother 3.gba file and Mother 3.gba.original file. Drk (do you mind if I call you that?), I think you're trying to open the backup of the original Japanese rom that the patching software creates, which I think is the .original file. I don't know if you noticed, but in the patching software, there was a checkbox that said 'create backup?'. I'm assuming it does that in case it errs in patching the rom.

That...might explain it. So, if I use the real ROM, it should be patched? Allright, for some reason I thought that the ".original" one was the new patched version of it. Many a thanks, Caged Wolf. And you may call me Drk. Just as long as you realize it's supposed to be pronounced as "Dark" instead of "Dirk."
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Oct 19, '08, 3:00 am

DrkTr14ce wrote:That...might explain it. So, if I use the real ROM, it should be patched? Allright, for some reason I thought that the ".original" one was the new patched version of it. Many a thanks, Caged Wolf.

If you use the real rom, it should be patched and work fine. If it doesn't, then something may have gone wrong in the patching or the rom was messed up to begin with or something along those lines. But it should be fine. You're welcome. :)

DrkTr14ce wrote:And you may call me Drk. Just as long as you realize it's supposed to be pronounced as "Dark" instead of "Dirk."

I figured that was the case. I just chose the first 3 letters of your screenname and went with that.

Wolf Bird

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Nov 3, '08, 3:10 pm

So I got to a point where I repeatedly got my butt kicked by basic enemies and I actually stopped playing Mother 3 for about a week as I didn't feel like just leveling up. Then I got into it last night and played about...3-4 hours. Leveled up, got past the part that was giving me trouble, and I finally reached the seven needles quest that holds the game together, which starts in chapter 7. I'm on my way to the fourth needle now. I think I was well rewarded for playing the game again; I'm happy to report that Mr. Saturn makes a triumphant return!

Wolf Bird

Previous

Return to Retro Roundup