California Fires

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

California Fires

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 24, '07, 3:33 am

Anyone here in the California area or close to where these fires are? If so, please take care and be safe.

These fires have already caused so much destruction. Many people have lost their homes and valuables and mementoes.

I was reading about some castle type home that had been destroyed with many, many valuables destroyed there also and some of the stuff was about 30 scripts from Elvis Presley movies I think it was, and these scripts had his handwritten notes in the corners and on the pages - all destroyed in the fire. :cry: :cry: :blank:
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rudo » Wed Oct 24, '07, 5:54 am

I hope these people in California where the fires are burning have insurance, and lots of it. :fiery:
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby Neithird » Wed Oct 24, '07, 12:21 pm

I heard this morning that the evacuation is the largest in the state's history, with a million people having to leave the area. It must be terrible to have to leave your home and memories behind like that. :cry:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 24, '07, 5:10 pm

This fire is such a tragedy. Atleast nobody has lost their life because of it yet, or atleast as far as I know. Things can be replaced, although some things seem irreplaceable, I know. Lives are more important.

A little good news regarding the fires - they have arrested a suspect for arson (setting the fires). I heard one of the airplanes was flying over an area and happened to see someone on a motorcycle stop and start a fire. It's good to know this person was caught. If there are any others responsible for this tragic event, I hope they are caught also.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 24, '07, 11:29 pm

Heh, I bet they'll really throw the book at him. I wonder if people that lost their homes in the fire can sue him for it? He'd be working of that debt for the rest of his life.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Thu Oct 25, '07, 2:28 pm

You mean someone started this blaze on purpose? Man, what kind of person would do that? That's just terrible, to think that someone would go out and cause such a disaster.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 25, '07, 8:38 pm

Well, forget the statement above about "no loss of life". Today they are reporting the discovery of two dead bodies in one of the burned out buildings. So, it looks like if anyone is held responsible for these fires, they could certainly be looking at a murder charge. We'll see how it goes.

I heard that they could not connect one suspect they had with the fires, so don't know what will happen there. I also heard that another possible suspect was shot and killed as he rammed a police vehicle, I believe it was. Not quite certain on that as I only caught the end of that story.

Hopefully the fires will soon be out and people will be out of danger. President Bush is visiting California today to assess the area and meet with victims, government leaders there, etc.

I wonder if Pres. Bush will have Gov. Arnold riding with him in the Air Force One Copter? That might be added incentive to make Arnold want to run for President one day, if the laws are ever changed where he can. Think so? :hmm:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 25, '07, 11:03 pm

What a mess. :worried: I was watching the news early this morning and they had some fire chiefs from CA saying they weren't getting enough support from the government, that they needed more men, stuff like that. Then they switched to an interview with the governor, where he pointed out just how bad this fire really is. It sounds like the worst I can ever remember; it has been moving incredibly fast and has a strong wind blowing it along.

Arnold for president? :boggled: I doubt the laws will be changed to allow it, but I suppose that's always possible if he puts his mind to it. This reminds me of a Stallone movie, Demolition Man, where they said Arnold had become president in the future. :yaknow:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Oct 26, '07, 5:20 pm

Thoul wrote:Arnold for president? :boggled: I doubt the laws will be changed to allow it, but I suppose that's always possible if he puts his mind to it. This reminds me of a Stallone movie, Demolition Man, where they said Arnold had become president in the future. :yaknow:

If anyone can do it, Arnold will be the one! Actually, I think he has more than a very good chance of seeing it happen too. :hyper:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Neithird » Fri Oct 26, '07, 5:32 pm

Isn't it part of the Constitution that only US born citizen can be president? So he would need an amendment to do that, right? It seems like a lot of work, but I guess it is possible. If he runs for senator and goes to Congress, he might have a chance at making the amendment.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Casual Conversation