Cakes - how many kinds are there?

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Cakes - how many kinds are there?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jul 15, '13, 10:13 pm

Most everyone likes to eat cake, atleast some time or other. It is amazing when you think about it of all the different types of cakes there are today. I really had no idea how many different varieties there could be. I mean, recently at a birthday party I attended, there was a Key Lime Cake (which was absolutely delicious), Red Velvet cupcakes (which I love), and someone even made a Butterfinger Cake (chocolate cake topped with icing and a layer of crushed butterfinger candy bars...oh my)!!!

I mean, usually I am just happy with a plain ole cake, but now I am thinking explore and expand my knowledge of cakes! :lol: Which probably means expanding my waistline also, but maybe not if I only sample a small portion.

So, anyone have any super fantastic Cake dishes or recipes that you found to be a little extraordinary and also absolutely delicious that you want to share with all of us?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Cakes - how many kinds are there?

Postby Tanith » Tue Jul 16, '13, 5:50 am

I'm in the middle of packing and moving, so I don't have my recipes handy, but once I'm settled into my new place I'll post my great-grandmother's Kentucky Jam Cake recipe (and the accompanying butterscotch frosting recipe). It's really good. It's made with raspberry jam.

Edited: Never mind! I had the recipes saved to my Google Drive, so here they are:

Kentucky Jam Cake

1 cup soft butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 cup seedless blackberry jam
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each of ground cloves and allspice
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup chopped dates or raisins (I prefer raisins)

Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add jam and beat well. Add sifted flour, b. soda, salt, cloves, and allspice alternately with buttermilk, beating until smooth, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and fruit. Pour into four 9" layer pans lined on the bottom with greased wax paper. Bake in preheated (325F) oven for about 35 minutes. Cool; spread caramel frosting between layers and on top of cake.

Caramel Frosting

2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 tbsps light corn syrup
3 tbsps butter
dash of salt
2/3 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook to 236F (soft ball) on candy thermometer. Cool for 5 minutes, then beat until thick. If too thick, add a little hot water.

Hint: In order to really frost the whole cake, I double the caramel frosting recipe. I also just let the frosting dribble down the side of the cake, rather than spreading it.
Last edited by Tanith on Tue Jul 16, '13, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Cakes - how many kinds are there?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 21, '13, 12:15 am

Sounds like a delicious cake Tanith!! I've never heard of that one either. Thanks for posting the recipe.

I have been craving some Strawberry shortcake lately but have been too lazy to fix any and too busy to buy any, but I may have to remedy that soon.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Delectable Delicacies