Cable TV

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Cable TV

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Nov 6, '10, 7:33 pm

Do you have cable tv ?

Found an interesting article which says that many people who have cable tv are dropping it for many reasons.

Some reasons may possibly be because many programs are now viewable online, etc. Some reasons may be because of the high cost of cable, etc.?

What's your opinion?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/201 ... titialskip

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Cable TV

Postby Lucas » Sun Nov 7, '10, 9:07 am

I remember when I was younger and we had only three channels, then it went to five and stayed at five until digital TV was introduced to Australia last year. Now we have like 15 or maybe more free to air channels, there is no need for me to have cable TV. ;)

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Jack Lias » Sun Nov 7, '10, 2:39 pm

I'm quite disappointed that, despite the large amount of channels we have, there is almost nothing worth watching at any given time. The only channel that has good content 24/7 is the SPACE channel.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Nov 7, '10, 3:54 pm

Jack Lias wrote:I'm quite disappointed that, despite the large amount of channels we have, there is almost nothing worth watching at any given time. The only channel that has good content 24/7 is the SPACE channel.

This. For the most part, I think television isn't worth the price and I think that's a reason subscription is dropping. I also think it has a LOT to do with the internet and services such as Netflix and the like. Now we do have TV in the house where I rent out a room as it comes in a bundle with internet service, but I have yet to even touch it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tanith » Sun Nov 7, '10, 9:50 pm

We have satellite service (DirecTV). Cable won't be able to compete with DirecTV in our case until NFL Sunday Ticket is available, which might be never. My husband is from the Chicago area and a HUGE Bears fan, but we live in Virginia. Therefore, the NFL package will always trump whatever other services cable offers. In my experience, the cable companies in Maryland and Virginia just can't compete with satellite, anyway. We were forced to use cable when we lived in an apartment complex that wouldn't allow dishes, and the service was sub-par.

I myself watch very little TV. If I wasn't married and was living on my own, I wouldn't have cable or satellite at all. The few TV shows I actually enjoy I record and watch later, so I can skip the commercials. Plus, I work nights, so I have to record them, anyway. I could just as easily rent them or buy them later if I didn't have satellite service.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby tilinelson2 » Mon Nov 8, '10, 12:33 pm

I watch very little TV, but I have cable TV here in Brazil because, otherwise, I'd never watch TV at all. It is a bit expensive, but the quality of the image is very good and we have some interesting TV shows only on cable TV.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 8, '10, 7:48 pm

I dropped cable around the first of the year. It just wasn't worth the price. I found that there was rarely anything on I wanted to watch, as others have already said. I spent maybe a couple of hours a week watching. I can see any of those shows I'm really interested in now online. I can also choose when I want to watch them instead of being locked into a certain airing time.

I'd like to set up an antenna for some of the local channels, but the government forcing all of them to move to digital broadcasting but a big crimp in that. I'd have to special order a digital adapter that no one sells around here. It's also not worth the price or the trouble.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Tubular Television