Burgers and cola

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Re: Burgers and cola

Postby Tanith » Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:59 am

hugues wrote:The idea of eating one during a battle was funny too.
That is pretty funny.

Alis: "Myau just took a hit to the head! Quick, throw me a burger!"
*Odin tosses burger, pieces of it scatter through the air and land everywhere, a pickle lands on Alis's cheek*
Alis: *glares at Odin* "DON'T throw the cola."
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 14, '10, 5:17 am

hugues wrote:I also liked the idea but thought it was kinda gross to carry burgers around for days on end. The idea of eating one during a battle was funny too. I wonder what toppings they came with?

:lol: :rofl:

Odin: *Chomp chomp* "Dang it, Alis, I dropped my pickle again..."

Tanith wrote: Alis: "Myau just took a hit to the head! Quick, throw me a burger!"
*Odin tosses burger, pieces of it scatter through the air and land everywhere, a pickle lands on Alis's cheek*
Alis: *glares at Odin* "DON'T throw the cola."

Bwahahaha! I love it.
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Wed Jul 14, '10, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby OhNoHumans » Wed Jul 14, '10, 7:49 am

They probably had a fridge Odin would have to haul around until they rode about, stayed at Suelo's, etc. So after that point when you get a vehicle, he's really only roughing it in the dungeons.

Rune_Walsh wrote:
OhNoHumans wrote:you never meet bums who need Monomates, so you can't have fun with those

I couldn't agree more, it is one of those tongue-in-cheek hilarious aspects of the game you don't forget: the bums asking, "could ya spare me a cup of cola?" And if you say no, you get called a tightwad. :lol:

Is that the same jerk that does nothing at all except waste your drink?

Tanith wrote:
Rune_Walsh wrote:Ah, to be able to read kanji. Must be quite awesome that you are able to do so!
Me? Oh, I don't know the first thing about reading Japanese! :D There's a retranslated version of PSI that exists out there somewhere that you can play through emulation, that's what I was referring to. I don't want to play that version because it takes the fun out of all the original translation quirks. Myau no longer flaps his wings ploudly! Burgers and cola don't exist, either.

Reading Japanese is so much easier than hearing it I'm afraid. Or at least it seems. :zzz:

But if you could it would be that much easier to play PS Deluxe! (Which I would like to play, though don't much care for the idea of phone-based games.) And of course the Ages games.
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby tilinelson2 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 12:33 pm

In Brazilian version the use of Cola provides another meaning. Since cola is also cola in Portuguese, but the word cola also means glue, many people linked the bums asking for cola to bums wanting toxic glue, which is a hallucinogen commonly used by beggars and bums.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jul 14, '10, 1:18 pm

I think the whole idea is hilarious. Now, I will admit it doesn't quite fit in GREAT with Phantasy Star, but it's still funny. It DOES add a touch of being in the real world, you know? Not entirely realistic since food doesn't close your wounds, for sure, but funny.

I will also just propose the 'Earthbound argument', in which the vast majority of your healing items are food which can be enhanced by the condiment system. It's funny. Since when did we expect realism from your video games, especially back in the day? Yes, I brought up Earthbound again...

:duck:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 1:35 pm

In a way, I was just waiting for you bringing an "Earthbound" argument. I wanted to do it, since this kind of food would fit more in Earthbound indeed, but I waited for our own Earthbound-fan resident to make the comment :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 14, '10, 3:35 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:I think the whole idea is hilarious. Now, I will admit it doesn't quite fit in GREAT with Phantasy Star, but it's still funny. It DOES add a touch of being in the real world, you know? Not entirely realistic since food doesn't close your wounds, for sure, but funny.

I will also just propose the 'Earthbound argument', in which the vast majority of your healing items are food which can be enhanced by the condiment system. It's funny. Since when did we expect realism from your video games, especially back in the day? Yes, I brought up Earthbound again...

:duck:

My sentiments exactly, CW. :D

And I love that Earthbound has something similar... yay for condiments! :lol:
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Wed Jul 14, '10, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 14, '10, 9:00 pm

Personally, I think there was a lot of charm to the idea of burgers and cola. I wish they had returned in later games. Particularly in PSII, where the people are supposed to have gotten lazy and dependent on their computers. Those folks would have been a prime fast food market!

I wouldn't replace the 'mates and 'dews with them, but adding different kinds of burgers and colas alongside those might have provided some nice variety to the healing items. Even shortcake got to return several times.

Though I have to wonder... if PSI had condiments, who would prepare the burgers? Odin? Lutz? I bet Hapsby would make the best ones.

Aeroprism wrote:Never liked the idea. Silly, unwanted and pointless American translation that implied that North American gamers were too dumb to cope with imaginative terms.

I don't think that was the point at all. 1987 was a very different kind of gaming market. The target audience of the localization was children, so the team used terms that would be familiar to kids who had never played an RPG or fantasy game before this one. That doesn't mean they thought gamers were stupid, they just wanted to make it easier to adjust to a new kind of gaming experience. It's not like every made up word was stripped from the game, after all.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lyla2284 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 9:27 pm

And I'm surprised that after all those burgers and colas, Alisa, Odin and Noah never gained any weight and avoided looking like human blimps. :D

Now, if only McD could do something similar. Imagine, burgers that heal/cure you and cola that relieves all ailments. ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:28 pm

xellos667 wrote:In a way, I was just waiting for you bringing an "Earthbound" argument. I wanted to do it, since this kind of food would fit more in Earthbound indeed, but I waited for our own Earthbound-fan resident to make the comment :)

I hope I didn't disappoint. ;)

I also agree with Lyla. On McD, anyway. When it comes to Alis, Noah and Odin not looking like human blimps, all you have to do is apply video game logic and that's explained away. :silly:
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star