Burgers and cola

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Burgers and cola

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 14, '10, 12:19 am

I loved that PSI had burgers and cola instead of dimate/trimate and monomates.

It doesn't sound healthy... but at least it sounds edible!

Thoughts?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: Burgers and cola

Postby Lucas » Wed Jul 14, '10, 12:41 am

It was indeed cool. It was also quite realistic too, especially when you looked at other RPGs released around the same time that used potions instead.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Oakley2284 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 1:11 am

I like more the monomate and dimate because that do more Phantasy star than the burger or cola...
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby OhNoHumans » Wed Jul 14, '10, 2:33 am

Lucas wrote:It was indeed cool. It was also quite realistic too, especially when you looked at other RPGs released around the same time that used potions instead.

And even if you were going to say what they were originally known as, at least polymate looked like a chocolate bar. (And it's because of this that lead to one of the first "Conversations Within Elsydeon" things featured on the Phantasy Star pages site, and one of my favourite of them.)

And yeah Gryz, but you never meet bums who need Monomates, so you can't have fun with those. (If there's anything I was dissapointed with, it's the Heal spell.)
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 2:44 am

Burger and cola, even if not the real name, were perfectly fitting my Phantasy Star experience when I first tried them. Sure it's not futuristic, more modern day, but in a RPG setting of that era, modern day food sounded more futuristic than anything you could find in any other RPG
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Tanith » Wed Jul 14, '10, 3:02 am

Burgers and cola are fun in a silly, nostalgic way to me, but overall they're pretty incongruous with the feel of Phantasy Star. Then again, PSI is all over the place in terms of style and can't be narrowed down to any one particular genre. So again, the burgers and cola are fun from the nostalgic angle. It's the same way I feel about the terrible English translation. It's silly, but I don't want to play a retranslation of the game. I like the original with all its imperfections.

Also, I'm not a big fan of using food and rest as ways to replenish Hit Power, so I do favor hospitals to inns and the 'mates to food. Though nourishment and rest are important for rejuvenation, HP is battle damage, something that needs medicine or techniques/magic. A burger shouldn't help close a wound. :D
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Jul 14, '10, 3:56 am

Never liked the idea. Silly, unwanted and pointless American translation that implied that North American gamers were too dumb to cope with imaginative terms.

Besides, who the fudge uses fast food to get better...
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:34 am

Tanith wrote:It's the same way I feel about the terrible English translation. It's silly, but I don't want to play a retranslation of the game. I like the original with all its imperfections.

Ah, to be able to read kanji. Must be quite awesome that you are able to do so!

Tanith wrote:Also, I'm not a big fan of using food and rest as ways to replenish Hit Power, so I do favor hospitals to inns and the 'mates to food. Though nourishment and rest are important for rejuvenation, HP is battle damage, something that needs medicine or techniques/magic. A burger shouldn't help close a wound. :D

Well, medicine is sometimes ingested, but I see your point. I don't know how Sega could have designed the game without the food/medicinal purchase option; Alis isn't able to cast "heal" until a certain point of the game, and you already visit Suelo uh, way too often. Cola heals 10 hp and burger 40 hp, which isn't much in comparison to what the better healing spells can do. Admittedly, it would be better if Sega used some other terminology, but obviously the burgers and cola in Algol are very uh, amazing, and not in the earthly, greasy, fatty fast-food sense. :lol:

Aeroprism wrote:Never liked the idea. Silly, unwanted and pointless American translation that implied that North American gamers were too dumb to cope with imaginative terms.

It probably has to do with stereotypes. I guess if Sega were translating for Italians, spaghetti and wine would be used? :lol:

OhNoHumans wrote:you never meet bums who need Monomates, so you can't have fun with those

I couldn't agree more, it is one of those tongue-in-cheek hilarious aspects of the game you don't forget: the bums asking, "could ya spare me a cup of cola?" And if you say no, you get called a tightwad. :lol:
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Tanith » Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:40 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:Ah, to be able to read kanji. Must be quite awesome that you are able to do so!
Me? Oh, I don't know the first thing about reading Japanese! :D There's a retranslated version of PSI that exists out there somewhere that you can play through emulation, that's what I was referring to. I don't want to play that version because it takes the fun out of all the original translation quirks. Myau no longer flaps his wings ploudly! Burgers and cola don't exist, either.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby hugues » Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:54 am

I also liked the idea but thought it was kinda gross to carry burgers around for days on end. The idea of eating one during a battle was funny too. I wonder what toppings they came with?
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Next

Return to Phantasy Star