Bringing together the 4 Phantasy Star games

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: Bringing together the 4 Phantasy Star games

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 30, '10, 8:59 pm

What gets me is how some people say Phantasy Star 3's enemies were pathetic when they attacked. If you look at Phantasy Star 4, the attack animations aren't that great for some of the monsters either. A monster in Ps 3 lifts its finger, a boss in PS IV lifts his hand. The animations are just as simplistic but they are more tastefully done for PS 4.

Now what gets me is those same people who mock Phantasy Star 3 for its enemies and attacks, will PRAISE Final Fantasy 1-6 for the way its battles are done. In those games, most of the enemies just BLINK. A Blink, damage numbers shown. Now 5 and 6 added a little attacks but the monsters have no life. Wow, 2 steps and they don't even touch the monsters. PS 2 and 4? Monsters get touched..

Phantasy Star 1-4, the enemies have little things that bring them to life. Glowing eyes, bouncing, moving eyes, moving tentacles, etc.

That is what makes Phantasy Star a better series during the 8-16 bit era. Enemies had life to them.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby tilinelson2 » Mon Aug 30, '10, 9:34 pm

Strange thing about PS3 is that almost 1 megabit of the 6 megabit ROM is blank and the game still lacks many things.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 1, '10, 12:28 am

I think keeping the simple grid background for battles of PSII would be necessary if making a new version of PSII. For any other game, it isn't needed, but could be a bonus. IIRC, PS generation:2 has an option to use the grid or area-specific backgrounds like PS I, III, and IV. That would be the best way to handle it, but I'd expect to see that only in PSII remakes.

PSIV's battle backgrounds, in my opinon, were trying too hard to look very detailed. I've looked at some of them in a lot of depth when working with screen shots from the game. I've noticed that there is a lot of repetition in the images. Essentially they're a lot like the world maps - certain groups of small images are repeated to fill the screen. While it looks okay for quick battles, I personally prefer PSI's approach to the backgrounds. PSI may have used simpler designs and colors, but I think they look much nicer overall.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Previous

Return to Classic Series