Another original piece from me to you. ^^

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

REI of Light

REI of Light

View Gallery Page

Another original piece from me to you. ^^

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri Jul 9, '10, 9:53 am

So, here as promised, another one of my original works. The above image was drawn in 2008, but I only coloured it very recently. It's not a fully-fledged manga or story even, it's just something I did for fun. And I used no reference this time. This I drew out of my head. ^^
You'll notice that I payed homage to my fav PS character if you look at the colours of Rei's outfit.

Hope you guys like it. And I know Rei's head is a bit small, and that some of the characters suffer from 'long-neck syndrome'. :p
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Re: Another original piece from me to you. ^^

Postby Xander » Fri Jul 9, '10, 3:19 pm

Nice work Lyla. :) Nothing's better than translating an idea from your head to an actual drawing, even if it has a few misfires first. You've certainly got a knack for drawing new characters. How long have you been at this? Must have been a fair while.

I thought the jacket looked a bit familiar. If the hair was any more similar in terms of shape the resemblance would be uncanny. :D
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri Jul 9, '10, 8:27 pm

Well, I have been drawing manga for the last 6 to 8 years, so it becomes rather easy to translate one's own ideas onto paper. And I've been practicing every single day. I'm also left-handed, for those of you who don't know, and self-taught. I could have been a hell of a lot better at this if I had studied fine art.

Yeah, Rei's hair was brown at first, but I decided to change it to silver. It suits her hairstyle better.
Alys is basically the only PS character I pay homage to in my character designs. PS4 doesn't have a special place in my heart, but Al does.

Maybe one of these days I can design characters for video games. That would be a dream for me.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Xander » Fri Jul 9, '10, 9:14 pm

Well it certainly wouldn't be out of reach Lyla. A few of the stories I've seen from people who do character design are all similar. In terms of today, they started off doing maybe some sprites and bitmap images for games in the 90s and gradually worked their way up to being responsible for the design from concept art stage to modeling stage. It's really a matter of putting in the hours and building on your skill.
Heck, I remember one of the people who was/is in charge at id Software today was recruited in 1994 after he designed a couple of levels for Doom, something a lot of people still do for that game today at a level 1000 times more complex than back then. Now if I had a time machine...

So yeah, you never know. :D
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 9, '10, 10:37 pm

Lyla2284 wrote:Maybe one of these days I can design characters for video games. That would be a dream for me.

Some dreams do come true. Good luck to you in making your dream become a reality one day. As talented as you are, You can do it! :yes:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Artwork