Facebook Buys Oculus VR

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Facebook Buys Oculus VR

Postby S4Blade » Wed Mar 26, '14, 11:35 pm

Source: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/03/25/ ... 2-billion/

Facebook buys Oculus VR, a virtual reality gaming company, for $2 billion. I never had much interest in the Oculus Rift before, and I'm even less interested in it now. What are your thoughts on this?
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Facebook Buys Oculus VR

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Mar 27, '14, 1:03 am

Gotta agree with you on this, at least on first glance. I mean, I don't get the whole virtual reality thing yet, I think it's a few years down the road yet, maybe quite a few years, but who knows. I will say I was hearing on the news earlier that Zuckerberg thinks it'll have medical applications and maybe military implications and that sort of thing outside of gaming, so I guess we'll wait and see.

But yeah, from an entertainment and gaming perspective, I have zero interest or hype for this at all, especially now that Facebook has it.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Mar 27, '14, 1:25 am

When I first heard this, I think it was the first time I ever wanted to do a legitimate facepalm. I was excited for the Oculus Rift at first however I lost some interest when I heard about Facebook acquiring it. I just think Facebook is too unreliable and have nothing solid to prove to me that they can help push this product out successfully.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby S4Blade » Thu Mar 27, '14, 7:32 am

It looks like some of the original Kickstater backers are demanding refunds.

http://kotaku.com/oculus-kickstarter-ba ... Socialflow

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Thu Mar 27, '14, 8:32 am

VistaBlade wrote:It looks like some of the original Kickstater backers are demanding refunds.

http://kotaku.com/oculus-kickstarter-ba ... Socialflow

I can understand them ! But for this whole VR, I'm not convinced at all but let's see how it's going to be :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Mar 27, '14, 1:02 pm

I just don't see what Facebook is ADDING to the whole thing. I can see them maybe wanting to get a cut of the profit if they think it's going to be profitable, but what, exactly, do they add, other than a ton of money and investment capital? I guess I can see the point about medical or military applications, but to carry the technology in that direction, I think you can find far better companies than Facebook.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Thu Mar 27, '14, 8:30 pm

True that Facebook doesn't seems to be the most eligible to have the best use for these VR oculus system : what are they going to do with it ? it's, for the moment, a big mystery for me...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Mar 27, '14, 8:37 pm

The second hour of On Point, a 2-hour NPR show broadcast out of Boston every weekday, is about this. You can stream it from their site.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/03/27/face ... al-reality
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Thu Mar 27, '14, 10:38 pm

I agree with Wolf Bird. It just seems like an odd mix to me. Unless Facebook really wants to get into gaming seriously, but I doubt anyone would take them seriously in the gaming market. They do have plenty of money, which will be helpful for the development of the device, but I see this becoming more of a PC accessory than a gaming device now.
Last edited by S4Blade on Thu Mar 27, '14, 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Fri Mar 28, '14, 7:34 pm

Yeah, I'm just not sure what Facebook sees in this... Depending on what happens, I still may end up buying one eventually. One of my favorite kinds of games are flight simulators and it'll be nice to be able to turn my head to see out the side of my plane or look at different parts of the instrument panel instead of having to * around with hat switches and the like.
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 15

Next

Return to Tech and Design