Soap Operas

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Soap Operas

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jul 26, '07, 11:19 pm

Do you watch Soap Operas? Daytime Soaps or Nighttime Soaps? If so, which ones do you watch and enjoy? How long have you been watching each Soap? Who is your favorite Soap Opera character? :)
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Soap Operas

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jul 27, '07, 12:20 am

A few years ago, my mom got me into watching soaps. At the time I was watching One Life to Live and my favorite actor was Roger Howarth...he's very talented and so cute -- absolutely loved his hair. :mrgreen: Anyways, his role as Todd was very great and his character was easily my favorite on the show. I was sad to see him leave when his contract was up and he didn't want to stick around; I guess he wasn't happy with how they were wanting to write and change his character. When Roger Howarth was replaced by Trevor St. John, who's a terrible actor, I really disliked it and stopped watching the show for the most part. (occasionally I'll catch a glimpse if my mom happens to be watching) They even changed his character for the worse, too, "redeeming" his dark character and literally ignoring his past. Kills me when they do that to any soap. If anything, they should've just made a new character since they had to make such drastic changes. :\

I did watch All My Children for awhile...but the storyline became ridiculous, having cosmetic companies competing and all the young women on the show magically coming together to make one of their own and doing modeling for crud... And the actress who plays Kendall really annoys me, I swear that woman's a walking stick. >:| I've wondered if she were either naturally very thin or anorexic, but she doesn't look good either way. Ironically, all the men on the show fall for her, too. :D

Currently, I'll watch Passions here and there. It's very funny and has a weird storyline, which is a nice change for a soap opera! My favorite character on there is the black mailer, who's one of the villains and is some mystery person dressed as a man/woman.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Atolm » Fri Jul 27, '07, 8:40 am

I could try to watch soaps but it would make me go into "Mystery Science theater 3000" mode and the result would be all of my friends throwing things at me. =)

Well I did see the first season of Passions, only because it was summer break and I had no cable.

And it was right before the cartoons.

I liked the witch.. and the doll that came to life. 0_0
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 27, '07, 3:47 pm

Tsunami, I agree regarding Actor Roger Howarth as he was PERFECT for the role of Todd on One Life To Live. The role or the soap has never been the same since he left. He is now currently on another soap, As The World Turns, I believe, and doing splendidly there. His long hair was beautiful and it looks pretty good in the shorter style he wears now too. The "connection" between Viki and Todd has never reached the same feeling since Roger left the role and the same with some other characters too. Sad.

I read recently that soon on OLTL they are having a funeral for the character of Asa Buchanan (played by actor Phil Carey for over 20 + years who is leaving the show) and some "old favorite characters" are returning for that event - Max (James Depaiva), Kevin, Cord, Joey (Nathan Fillion, ex-Firefly, Drive), etc.

I agree also regarding Kendall on AMC, she is very thin and that is scary! I know thin is in, but that seems to be too far in, if you ask me.

I've watched a little bit of Passions but not enough to know very much about it. I do know the witch and I think the "doll". Didn't the actor that played the doll pass away in real life several years ago?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Sat Jul 28, '07, 2:03 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:Tsunami, I agree regarding Actor Roger Howarth as he was PERFECT for the role of Todd on One Life To Live. The role or the soap has never been the same since he left. He is now currently on another soap, As The World Turns, I believe, and doing splendidly there. His long hair was beautiful and it looks pretty good in the shorter style he wears now too. The "connection" between Viki and Todd has never reached the same feeling since Roger left the role and the same with some other characters too. Sad.

Another RH fan! :mrgreen: And yes, the bond that was once there between Todd and Viki is literally nonexistant... I loved those moments that they had. It's the same for Jessica, too. Although her character is really different since Erin Trophy (I think that's her name) left her roll. I think the character of Todd was better left unfilled, since in my eyes, no one can take his place.

I've seen RH on ATWT a few times, and he is doing well there. :) I still see him as the one and only Todd, though.
Secret_Surfer wrote:I read recently that soon on OLTL they are having a funeral for the character of Asa Buchanan (played by actor Phil Carey for over 20 + years who is leaving the show) and some "old favorite characters" are returning for that event - Max (James Depaiva), Kevin, Cord, Joey (Nathan Fillion, ex-Firefly, Drive), etc.

Yeah... Phil may be a veteran of the show, but he's still an awesome actor. One of the best, in my opinion. From what I heard, they wanted to put Phil on a recurring role because he's getting old, so he told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. ;)

Bless his heart! He will be greatly missed.
Secret_Surfer wrote:I agree also regarding Kendall on AMC, she is very thin and that is scary! I know thin is in, but that seems to be too far in, if you ask me.

Agreed... I don't see the craze with being thin. Sure, there's being thin and healthy...but she doesn't look healthy at all to me. I just worry about what kind of message this is sending to young girls who watch this show. :(

Oh, and regarding her... I guess her character (not the actress) was pregnant twice and both times she was thin as ever with padding on her stomach... :lol: Not only is that unnatural, but it looks weird. Moms are supposed to gain weight, it's perfectly natural!
Secret_Surfer wrote:I've watched a little bit of Passions but not enough to know very much about it. I do know the witch and I think the "doll". Didn't the actor that played the doll pass away in real life several years ago?

Ah, I'm sorry to say that I know little about the doll aside from seeing it once or twice in the past. :( I haven't been watching long, but I know small bits and pieces about other things.

It may be a little too late, but I love the character of Spike. So hilariously entertaining to watch...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Atolm » Sat Jul 28, '07, 3:35 am

Secret_Surfer wrote: Didn't the actor that played the doll pass away in real life several years ago?

I heard about that!
Do not know the Actor's name, but it was so sudden. 0_0
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 28, '07, 9:01 pm

Tsunami wrote:Yeah... Phil may be a veteran of the show, but he's still an awesome actor. One of the best, in my opinion. From what I heard, they wanted to put Phil on a recurring role because he's getting old, so he told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. ;)

Bless his heart! He will be greatly missed.

Agree 100%. I'm going to miss him as Asa Buchanan but can certainly understand and applaud his wanting to leave and doing so. He's quite a guy! :clap:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 28, '07, 9:07 pm

Atolm wrote:
Secret_Surfer wrote: Didn't the actor that played the doll pass away in real life several years ago?

I heard about that!
Do not know the Actor's name, but it was so sudden. 0_0

I looked it up because I couldn't remember his name. His name was Josh Ryan Evans and he died from complications of a heart condition in 2002. He was an awesome actor. I saw him a few times on Passions but am more familiar with his work on 7th Heaven and other shows. Here's an interesting link:

http://soaps.about.com/library/weekly/aa080802a.htm
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Feb 4, '10, 10:32 pm

Bumping this thread up as I just read that a long time soap opera star from the soap "Days Of Our Lives" has recently passed away.

http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/frances-reid/182298

Actress Alice Reid played the role of Alice Horton on DOOL.
She will be missed. Condolences to her family. :tombstone: :rose:

Also, another soap opera actor passed away fairly recently. Actor James Mitchell, who played the role of Palmer Courtland on the soap "All My Children". He will be missed also. Condolences to his family. :tombstone: :rose:

http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/jame ... ell/155480
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu Feb 4, '10, 11:19 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Bumping this thread up as I just read that a long time soap opera star from the soap "Days Of Our Lives" has recently passed away.

http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/frances-reid/182298

Actress Alice Reid played the role of Alice Horton on DOOL.
She will be missed. Condolences to her family. :tombstone: :rose:

Aw! That's so sad! I loved sweet Alice Horton.

I used to watch DOOL religiously. I'm still a fan of James Scott, AKA "EJ Dimera":

Passions was a GREAT soap. I supported Ethan and Theresa from the beginning. I'm sad that the series was over, it was definitely original.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Next

Return to Tubular Television