Ever subscribed to a magazine?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Ever subscribed to a magazine?

Postby Thoul » Sun Nov 23, '08, 6:58 pm

Do you subscribe, or have you ever subscribed to any magazines? If so, what are they?

I used to subscribe to Nintendo Power several years ago, mainly during the Super Nintendo era. I let the subscription lapse when they started covering the N64 more. Most of that didn't interest me as much and that was about the time I first got on the internet. Before that I enjoyed it mostly. They had a lot of neat subscriber bonuses like free player's guides.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Mon Nov 24, '08, 2:23 am

^ I never even saw an NP that old. XD
I subscribed to Nintendo Power up until a couple of years ago. I liked it a lot, and it got even better towards the end of my subscription, because the focus of the magazine shifted from game strategies to previews and articles. I stopped my subscription because I moved to the college dorms. Since I move back and forth between those and my house so often, I was paranoid that the magazines would start getting lost every time that I changed my location.

I also subscribed to EGM for years. Awesome mag--but I stopped subscribing because the coverage was getting kind of skimpy for the price.

GMR was a pretty good magazine; I subscribed to that one for a year because it was a bonus to an order that my dad made for me. I enjoyed it but the coverage wasn't too much different from EGM, so I didn't continue the subscription. Now that EB games is gone, I don't think that it's in circulation anymore.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 24, '08, 3:40 am

^ I never even saw an NP that old. XD
I subscribed to Nintendo Power up until a couple of years ago. I liked it a lot, and it got even better towards the end of my subscription, because the focus of the magazine shifted from game strategies to previews and articles.

When I started it had been going for a few years, but I found a bunch of early issues at flea markets. I've got a good 6 years worth of issues from the beginning until I dropped it. Some of them show their age really badly. The best issues in those days were also the ones that had good previews and articles. They balanced it well with game strategies for a while, but around the time I dropped it they lost that balance.

I used to pick up EGM at one of the local grocery stores, but I never subscribed to it. These days I kind of wish I had, but back then I could only afford one and NP was it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lucas » Mon Nov 24, '08, 8:27 am

I subscribed to a game boy advance magazine series in 2003 but they only lasted for about 2 years so I did'nt get all that many issues becuase they released a new issue every two or three months. It was called GBA World. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 24, '08, 10:39 pm

No subscriptions lately. It's too expensive. Years ago I probably was subscribed to several mags - Reader's Digest, TV Guide, Good Housekeeping, and maybe a video game book or two. It's been so long, I can't really remember.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Srijita » Mon Nov 24, '08, 10:53 pm

[face=Times New Roman]My family subscribed to Time magazine and Reader's Digest for many years. In my teens, I was passionate about astronomy and regularly dipped into The Planetary Report. Through high school and college, I was a subscriber to Scientific American, although I daresay that is generally considered a "journal" rather than a magazine. Nowadays the only periodicals I receive are medical journals, which I have to glance through just to keep up to date. :cry: [/face]
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby hugues » Tue Nov 25, '08, 2:45 am

I also used to subscribe to Nintendo Power back when it was new (I still remember the SMB2 issue fondly). I canceled after two years I think. I subscribed for a year two more times when they had great giveaways:
    Free Majora's Mask soundtrack in 2001
    Free Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for Gamecube in 2003

Now with the whole internet thing I'd have a hard time justifying magazine subscriptions. That doesn't stop the annoying door-to-door magazine guys from ringing my doorbell once a month though :fiery:
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Re: Ever subscribed to a magazine?

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 6:35 am

I used to subscribe to Animerica before they became a Con only magizine which left me with a distaste for them in my mouth. Now I subscribe to Play, Nintendo Power, and Game Informer. By the way, didn't EGM go out of business? I am just asking because I thought they did but I was told they are selling magizines in newstands again.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 21, '09, 7:27 am

EGM did go out, that's correct. About a month ago, the founder of the magazine regained ownership of the EGM trademarks and rights from the publishing company that shut it down. He announced plans to bring the magazine back, but I don't know when that's supposed to happen.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 8:09 am

Thanks for the answer :D It's good to know EGM will be back. That makes me wonder if the issue found at the stands if the first of the new EGM. I suppose I could always go buy it to find out :lol:
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Next

Return to Leapin' Library