Black Friday

Celebrating all those special times in each year.

Black Friday

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 30, '09, 5:55 pm

Well, this past Friday and the day after Thanksgiving was what is commonly known as "Black Friday" when all the stores, etc., have their big holiday sales, clearance sales, etc. hoping that shoppers will turn out in droves to partake and spend their money.

Did anyone venture out on this "Black Friday" to partake of any sales anywhere? If so, did you find some good sales? Or was it a more hectic time and experience than you thought it might be?

As for me, after participating in a few years of these events, I decided it was safer staying home on this day.

Remember, I think it was last year when :yaknow: they had all the injuries at a Walmart store, etc., and I heard on the radio this year that a Walmart store had to close when the shopping crowd got out of hand.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Black Friday

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 30, '09, 6:01 pm

Nah, I stay home on that Friday. While the deals may be attractive, they are much good if you wind up needing medical treatment thanks to some overzealous shoppers and spending more on that.

Hey, how about "Cyber Monday"? Is anyone taking advantage of any good online deals today?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tweeg » Tue Dec 1, '09, 2:52 am

Yep, I left home at 6 A.M. to go shopping on Black Friday. Pretty great experience all around this year, even though I did miss out on a couple of items i'd have liked to have bought.

My sister and her husband never went to bed the night before, they kicked off Black Friday waiting in line for one of the midnight sales.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 1, '09, 7:50 pm

I expected sales to be down a little due to the economy, but it seems like that is not the case. I heard a report this morning that sales were up compared to last year in my state. Rather surprising when we have a higher unemployment rate than the national average.

It was really good week for the game console makers also. Sony is reporting 440,000 PS3s sold. Nintendo says there were 500,000 Wiis and 1 million DS systems sold. Microsoft hasn't given out numbers for the Xbox, but supposedly it was the best week of the year for that, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Dec 2, '09, 9:10 pm

The Black Friday up here in Canada is the Friday before Christmas. That's when all the last minute shoppers show up usually.

I think I work that day too... It's gonna suck... big time... T-T
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Nov 26, '11, 7:01 am

Well, was anyone brave enough to face the "Black Friday" sales anywhere today??

I read online that many of the stores were opening earlier than ever this year, some even the night before on Thanksgiving Thursday, and many employees were very unhappy about that fact as it cut into their holiday off time, etc.

So, anyone shop early this year and did you find any really good shopping buys anywhere???

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Nov 26, '11, 7:08 am

To be honest, I find the 'Black Friday' thing to be extremely sad more than anything else, especially as it gets more and more extreme with earlier openings and shoppers going overboard. Employees at these stores were unable to spend Thanksgiving with their family...they either had to sleep or go to work to prepare for absurdly early sales. That's just too much.

Also, Black Friday violence, as some shoppers hurt each other, use pepper spray, and other such things, in order to grab their deals: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/ ... er-sprayed

To me, it's nothing short of disgusting that people will punch or pepper spray someone to save a few bucks on the gift du jour of the year. I realize violent incidents like this are relatively scattered, but I feel it's an insult to TRUE holiday spirit - remember peace on Earth, goodwill towards men? When did shopping become the exception to this for some people? It really makes the whole thing look bad. Get your gifts for your friends and family, but no need to go hurting other people for it.

I personally refuse, absolutely REFUSE, to ever participate in Black Friday shopping.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Nov 26, '11, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 26, '11, 10:37 pm

Some people definitely go overboard when it comes to the Friday shopping, but thankfully most people don't resort to violence like those cases. It is terrible about employees not getting a chance to spend time with their families, though. I read about some having to work double shifts. I'm not against stores being open on Thursday, but working people that hard is a bit too much.
Last edited by Thoul on Sat Nov 26, '11, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Nov 27, '15, 6:30 pm

Hey, hey, hey, it's Black Friday once again here in the USA! The day after Thanksgiving when the Christmas shopping season officially begins with thousands and thousands of people going nuts over possibly terrific shopping deals at many, many stores!!

Am I shopping today? No......I am not. I am being sensible and staying at home today!!! Believe me, I have been there at the stores in the midst of the shopping throng on Black Friday's before and certainly NOT doing that again any time soon, if at all possible!

I ought to tell you how many fights I have almost gotten in to with other shoppers on previous Black Fridays, lol. But, I don't want to go there and mess up what could otherwise be a good day. :lol: Overall, though, it was a fun time!! :evil:

Anyone else brave enough to face the shopping crowd madness today??? If so, let us hear your stories of what you went through today. :yes:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 27, '15, 8:08 pm

Nope. I haven't changed my opinion since the post I wrote 4 years ago (wow, that long ago, really?) I've already done most of my Christmas shopping anyway, and what I have left to do I can do online. Absolutely no reason to participate in what I, personally, see as utterly pointless madness.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Holidays