Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Xantus's Hummingbird

Xantus's Hummingbird

View Gallery Page

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, '15, 11:59 pm 
Once your thesis is done, go back to drawing. :mrgreen:

The forums could use so many more people adding artwork.

I do not know much about birds, but I know they are hard for me to draw, and I do not know how to draw their legs or wings...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, '15, 3:57 am 
Silver, I'm not sure precisely where you live, but if it's east of the Mississippi River, you'll be seeing Ruby-throated hummingbirds, mostly. If you live in the south, there will also be Black-throated and some hybrids. The females of each species are hard to distinguish from the other. In the western US, there's much much more variation. With hummingbirds, geography is everything. You won't see the Xantus in the US without a lot of luck, as they stay further south with only a few strays sometimes coming into southern Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. If you want to attract hummingbirds to your property, the best thing to do is plant flowers that attract them, if you can. Otherwise a feeder filled with sugar water is next best.

Ice, I might. Juggling school and a job the last couple years has been a lot of time and drawing is generally what I sacrificed. Maybe come next summer...though it will probably be more abstract stuff I did most recently. That said, 'fraid I can't offer many tips on drawing wings or legs, other than for every species, it's slightly different. Anymore when I'm out birdwatching, I go by shape more than color.

Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Aug 12, '15, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 8, '16, 8:29 pm 
Bumping this up again. I love all types of these little birds. They are so entertaining to watch outside at the hummingbird feeders or as they feast off of the flowers outside. I'm a little sad today as it seems all our hummingbirds have left the area now headed for warmer weather during this winter. I will miss them and eagerly look forward to their return in the Spring!

Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2