Bird Drawing - Flying Pileated Woodpecker

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Flying Pileated Woodpecker

Flying Pileated Woodpecker

View Gallery Page

Bird Drawing - Flying Pileated Woodpecker

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 11, '11, 6:35 am

Yeah, it's the holiday season, so I'll be cranking out a fair amount of these in the next several weeks. Plus, I find drawing to be a great therapeutic activity lately, as I've hit some bigtime burnout related to finding a job. At least my classes start in spring...

Anyway, drawing. Flying Pileated Woodpecker. I don't have a heck of a lot to say on this one. It took me a while to do for some reason, probably because anything that's all black and white (well...mostly) can take a long time to shade, but I think I did decently on it, even if the photo doesn't necessarily reflect that too well. Granted, I think I darkened some of the white parts too much. Oh well...lesson for next time.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Bird Drawing - Flying Pileated Woodpecker

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Nov 11, '11, 10:16 am

Great drawing!! :)

I love these birds. They are very colorful birds even though they are mostly black. The red crest really sets them off. We have atleast one (and maybe more) of them around here. I used to see atleast two of them together rather frequently but lately I've only seen one at a time. They really love these old dead trees found in this area. The only thing I like more than seeing these beautiful birds is hearing them. They have a rather distinctive sound and I always know it's them when I hear them even if I can't see them at the moment. For some reason or other they always seem to come around more when it's about to rain. I think I'd have to say that these are one of my most favorite birds.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 11, '11, 4:22 pm

They are quite a sight, aren't they? :) I love seeing them too, though I haven't seen one for a while. They like dead trees as they eat insects, and carpenter ants and other bugs live in dead trees. You probably saw two of them together a while ago as it was breeding season, and now it's the off season, so they're more likely to be solitary at this time of year, though they do form long term pair bonds.

Their sound is pretty distinctive, though the Northern Flicker has a similar call. So you may have them around too, and if so, try and see them too. They're really pretty as well, and they (as well as Pileated Woodpeckers in the area) may actually show up at a bird feeder if you put out suet.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 12, '11, 6:38 am

I used to see these birds all the time. Lately they've been more scarce. I'm not sure if that's just a matter of me not looking at the right time or because we have fewer trees around here now. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing one in flight. Usually they were climbing around the trees, doing their thing in search of bugs or whatever. Always easy to spot them with that bright red, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby woodpecker11215 » Thu Jan 5, '12, 11:48 pm

I love woodpeckers, all kinds of them but my favorites are the Pileated woodpecker and the Ivory Billed Woodpecker (which is unfortunately extinct). There are so many Pileated Woodpeckers were I live but it never gets old watching them peck on a tree or fly across the sky.
woodpecker11215
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 5

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jan 6, '12, 3:49 am

I enjoy watching these guys too, but living in Boston, I don't have a lot of opportunity to see them. But such is life.

Wolf Bird

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Feb 29, '12, 4:39 am

Rainy day here today and although I didn't see one of these birds anywhere, or even hear them as usual during this type of weather, I couldn't help but think they were still around somewhere. Last I saw there was still only one by themselves in this area but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn there are more of them that I just haven't seen yet. Beautiful Birds.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Wed Feb 29, '12, 8:33 am

"I believe I can fly" !! Very nice drawing, even with the "problems" you were speaking about. Good work !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 7, '18, 8:05 pm

Bumping up this beautiful bird drawing so everyone can enjoy it again! :clap:

One of my favorite birds. See them in our yard a lot! Well, flying through the trees mostly.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 14, '22, 12:54 pm

Woody ! :rofl:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209