Billy Mays Found Dead

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Billy Mays Found Dead

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 28, '09, 10:50 pm

I don't know if our international members will be familiar with this one. Billy Mays was a salesman in TV commercials for various products in recent years, most memorably for Oxi-Clean, Mighty Putty, and a few others. He also had a TV show called "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel. He was found dead in his home this morning.

The cause isn't known, but it probably had something to do with that head injury mentioned in the article. I've heard before that a bump on the head and cause a concussion and that going to sleep with such might mean never waking up. :(

He was a great salesman, always being energetic and enthusiastic about the products he was promoting. He really made them seem like great things to have.

For an eerie coincidence, the last time I saw Mays on TV was an appearance on the Tonight Show. I believe that was the same day Ed McMahon died and the show had a tribute to him.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Billy Mays Found Dead

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jun 29, '09, 12:48 am

Oh no, very sad to hear this news about Billy Mayes. :cry:

I thought he was funny for the most part as he always seemed so happy advertising his stuff. It takes a lot to get that happy over sticky putty or whatever it was. :wink:

Hmmm, that's interesting about him being hit in the head. That sounds sort of like what happened to actress Natasha Richardson who died a few months ago. She fell at a ski place and hit her head, felt fine and didn't go to hospital, and died just a short time later. She was married to actor Liam Neeson (aka "Darkman", etc.)

Condolences to the Mayes family. :tombstone:
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Snorb » Mon Jun 29, '09, 1:20 am

Billy did another Tonight Show episode, back in the tail end of Jay Leno's run- I'll just sum it up in five words, as he spoke them: "HI, THERE! BILLY MAYS SHAKESPEARE!"

He pitched his products while doing Shakespeare!
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 29, '09, 1:57 am

Oh man, I wish I had seen that episode. I bet it was awesome!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 29, '09, 2:11 am

:cry: He was my favorite infomercial salesman of all time. I'm going to miss him more than the other three celebrities who died this month.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Billy Mays

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 29, '09, 2:13 pm

Numer 1 pitchman, Billy Mays, died yesterday morning possibly from injuries sustained in a plane crash. I was very saddened to hear this as I like Billy Mays and enjoyed the TV show "Pitchmen". He will certainly be missed and my condolences go out to his family.

Billy Mays is dead
Last edited by Darkil on Mon Jun 29, '09, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Re: Billy Mays

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 29, '09, 4:01 pm

Here's some news on the autopsy

Autopsy Planned
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 29, '09, 4:26 pm

Eh hehe I didn't realize this topic was already here so I created another one. Ugh! Well at any rate I was very saddened by this news. Billy Mays was one of my favorite TV personalities and will be sorely missed. My condolences go out to his family.

PS - Thoul if you want to delete my other topic since there's no reason to have 2 up here, please do so. Last thing I want to do is take up space for no reason :oops:
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 29, '09, 10:13 pm

Don't worry about it, Darkil. This gave me an opportunity to try out the new forum's topic merging feature. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 5, '09, 12:25 am

I read something online this morning about the funeral for Billy Mays. It seems that all the Pallbearers in his funeral service wore blue, buttoned down shirts (just like the shirts Billy always wore in the commercials), in honor of Billy, and there was even a pic of them carrying his coffin.

Somehow, I think Billy would have liked that. :yaknow:
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Tubular Television