Nebraska votes against death penalty

Chat about things happening around the world.

Nebraska votes against death penalty

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 20, '15, 11:36 pm

Nebraska has voted to get rid of the death penalty there, and although the Governor has said that he will veto the bill, it may go through anyway:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nebras ... cid=AARDHP

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Nebraska votes against death penalty

Postby Zio_Falz » Fri May 22, '15, 8:40 pm

This is good.

Sadly, the United States still has capital punishment many states however, and they are grouped amongst countries such as Somalia, Afghanistan, Iran, mainland China, Sudan, North Korea, etc. I hope you can see a trend among those countries and realize that the United States should not really be groups among them.

Countries that do not have the death penalty/capital punishment, include Canada, Sweden, Norway, Germany, – – – many of the European Union countries among other countries in the world which have less if not no corruption within the government, and have transparent policies, and better social programs, such as social healthcare, free education, including college-level education, and other things which results in an educated and more civilized peaceful society.

Those countries above which do have capital punishment/the death penalty, are known for having corruption within the government among many many other human rights violations. I have nothing against the people within those countries, as I have met many and respect many, however I do have something against the government and the corruption that exists within those countries. And this is why the United States should not be listed among them and should be handling things in a manner which prevents crime or at least deters it, with better social policies.

Really, what does murder and execution solve or yield a positive result?
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat May 23, '15, 7:15 pm

Agree with most of your points, Zio, if not all of them. I'd love to see the abolition of the death penalty in my lifetime. At least I currently live in a state that has abolished it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat May 23, '15, 8:19 pm

Wolf Bird wrote: At least I currently live in a state that has abolished it.

At first I did not understand this (Boston has abolished the death penalty) seeing as how a Boston Jury recently brought back a death penalty sentence for the Marathon Bomber however I did some research and it says the guy was tried in a Federal court where the death penalty still exists. If he had been tried in a Boston state court he would have received life in prison. Okay, I understand it all a bit better now, if one can truly understand all this, that is.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat May 23, '15, 11:31 pm

By and large, residents of Boston and the rest of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts are against capital punishment, hence the ban in MA state courts. Still there at the federal level, and Tsarnaev did get the death sentence as he was tried in federal court, not a Massachusetts state court.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Zio_Falz » Mon May 25, '15, 3:59 pm

How lovely we have laws that protect us in the states, and also have laws to break those laws. Even internationally. Geneva Convention? Whats that?
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Rylen » Wed May 27, '15, 11:22 pm

I'm glad they are getting rid of it. My reasons for being against it are long and deep. I too live in a State that doesn't have it.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Return to Current Events