Nintendo Power ending

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Nintendo Power ending

Postby Thoul » Tue Aug 21, '12, 10:38 pm

Reports at Ars Technica claim that Nintendo Power magazine will be shutting down later this year, bringing a close to a 24 year run. The magazine started in summer of 1988 and is, unless I'm mistaken, currently the longest running video game magazine in North America. That title was previously held by GamePro, which started a few months before Nintendo Power, but ended last year.

I'm really sad to hear of this. I grew up with this magazine and had a subscription to it for years. From the report, it sounds like Nintendo just doesn't care about the magazine any longer. That's terrible, in my opinion, because it was always a great way to connect the company with dedicated fans. Reading the magazine back in the day gave me a real sense of community. They had the best maps and posters, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Nintendo Power ending

Postby Wing Eye » Wed Aug 22, '12, 5:54 am

I just found out about this because of GameFAQs poll of the day and had to come strait here to see if anyone else heard about it. I can't believe this and am very sad to see it go, this was the only game magazine that I liked to read :'(
With the internet though, magazines are on the decline and I admit, I have been part of that problem, I never bought an issue and only read it in the stores...
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 22, '12, 9:47 pm

Rising costs are a killer, too. The last time I picked up a Nintendo Power in the store, I think the price was around $8 or $10. That's a big jump from the old days when it was around $3, particularly with the economic state of the past few years.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 3, '13, 10:05 pm

All those magazines are in danger ! Here in France that is the same : a lot of magazines are doomed to disappear...and a lot of them have disappeared until recently... :(
Even if there has been recently a new magazine edited here ! Not too bad but not really good for what I've read but....I'll see with the second one !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jan 4, '13, 4:08 am

Been trying to find this last issue of Nintendo Power in all the stores where I live. No such luck as yet. They must have gotten gone very quickly or something. Will probably check it out on ebay later or something.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 4, '13, 10:12 pm

Silver_Surfer : Hope you'll succeed in your quest ! All the last issues of paper magazines are often hard to find as they will surely become in a certain way some rare pieces so.. .good luck ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 6, '13, 4:06 am

I wasn't able to find it, either. Only one local store carried the book, but they must have sold out within three days or stopped stocking it after the November issue. It's a shame... I really wanted to get this one as an end piece to my Nintendo Power collection, but I guess that's out. It's already selling for $20-30 or more on eBay. I'm not willing to pay that much for it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tweeg » Sun Jan 6, '13, 5:04 am

Ouch! I didn't even bother to check for it on Ebay, no point now for sure. If you have a K-Mart, check it, they're always the last place to stock magazines and the last place to sell out. I know the one closest to me frequently had issues of magazines dating back two years on the shelves. Will attempt to remember to check with them for a copy soon, though likely already to late for it with it being valuable on Ebay.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 6, '13, 8:27 am

I'll try to remember to check K-Mart the next time I drop by there, but I think the local store doesn't even have a real magazine section these days. I'll be really surprised if they have any gaming related books, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 6, '13, 11:56 am

$20-30 or more on eBay ?? Impressive ! And as always about less or more rare material...that's always sad but that is... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to In the News