Best winter themed areas?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Best winter themed areas?

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 18, '08, 5:34 pm

What games have the best winter themed areas? You know, ones with lots of snow or decorated for the winter holidays.

Wild ARMs and Chrono Trigger had some pretty good ones, I thought.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Dec 18, '08, 6:52 pm

I always liked Kamui in Okami. And how about Winters in Earthbound? Though maybe I like that because I enjoy the fact that Winters is a parody of England, which I guess fits in a game that's in many ways, a romanticized parody of America. :lol:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Brutus » Fri Dec 19, '08, 12:02 am

Hmm, i remember either Secret of Mana or SD3 having some awesome looking snowy areas, but now that i try to find pictures of them, they weren't that good. :blank: Dunno what SNES game it is i'm misremembering it from then...
Brutus
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby hugues » Fri Dec 19, '08, 9:10 pm

Shenmue largely takes place during winter and includes Christmas decorations when December rolls around. I actually won the game on Christmas (in the game calendar, not the real world calendar).

Snatcher also takes place during the Christmas season but you only see a couple references.

A few of my favorite winter themed areas:
    Wonder Boy in Monster World (aka Dynastic Hero) - has a small winter level and village.
    Ys II - one ice level and village that's very Christmas looking.
    Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask but have frozen levels but they're meant to be sad.
    Donkey Kong 64 - large ice cave level
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Lucas » Fri Dec 19, '08, 11:50 pm

The 5th world in Yoshi's Island is dedicated to 8 snow based stages and several snow enemies.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Dec 20, '08, 3:10 am

I want to add another. The Tunguska map in Destroy All Humans! 2 is a pretty cool winter map. As it's located in Siberia, there is snow on the ground and it does fall as well. But what makes this level awesome is the nuclear reactor there that you can blow up and wipe a whole town off the map in one fell swoop if you want. :mrgreen: It's also the first level where you encounter the Blisk, the alien race that your race has been at war with...well, forever.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Tech and Design