Best Spell?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: Best Spell?

Postby Erpy » Sun Aug 9, '09, 6:10 pm

Deban, Warla and Blessing all do the exact same thing; they add the caster's mental score to the party's base defense. This is why Blessing gives the biggest defensive boost most of the time while Deban gives the smallest and Warla is somewhere in between. Raja's mental stat is only rivalled by Rune's, while Rika's mental stat is very low. This also means that if you cast Blessing first, then Deban, your defense will go down...Blessing's big defense boost is replaced by Deban's okay defense boost.

And Rayblade is actually Nathu in skill form, with a slightly higher base damage. The difference is minimal, but since Chaz doesn't get a lot of tp and Nathu is pretty expensive, I use Rayblade a lot more than Nathu.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby Apprentice_of_Crys » Sun Apr 22, '12, 9:06 pm

My choice is Nathu. I liked the spells in PS II very much since most of them had a little explanation in the manual on how they work. Focussing the light of the Algo sun and using it as a devastating light beam sounded cool.
Apprentice_of_Crys
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 62

Postby myau56 » Tue Apr 24, '12, 11:01 am

Ah, interesting question ! (Yes I like to repeat some sentences !!^^) ! But hard to answer ! I'll tell CURE from the first Phantasy Star : yes there is no "visual effect" but that's the most important spell in the game and as this game is ma favourite... ;) Simple but essential in their quest to throw off Lashiec's evil schemes :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 24, '12, 11:25 pm

Apprentice_of_Crys wrote:My choice is Nathu. I liked the spells in PS II very much since most of them had a little explanation in the manual on how they work. Focussing the light of the Algo sun and using it as a devastating light beam sounded cool.

I love when manuals give extra story info like that. It really helps to make the spells more memorable if you envision the characters pulling sunlight into deadly beams and such.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Wed Apr 25, '12, 10:22 pm

It can be...if the persons read the manuals ! I know that a lot of guys didn't open them...and that's bad for me as I can't play a game without reading the manual before ! Or at least take a look at it before playing the first time :)
Last edited by myau56 on Fri Apr 27, '12, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 27, '12, 2:08 am

I used to read manuals every time I played a new game. These days I usually skip it, but it's almost required to understand spells in 16 bit RPGs. 8 bit games used fairly simple names - Fire, Chat, Hurtmore, Open. Those are easy to understand. Foi, Gra, Zan, Deban and fictional names like that need some explaining, though! I'm glad games can include descriptions within the actual game now. It's a lot easier, especially if you get a used game without a manual.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Fri Apr 27, '12, 11:07 am

I haven't played new games with manual for a long time (lot of games on emulators lately) now but the next time I'll buy one I'm sure to read it.

Yep, the names of the spells were far mlore comprehensible during the 8 bits period.
There is a lot of used games where the manual is missed : for me, impossible to lose a manual ! If I sell games (which is very very rare) the manual will be always present.
Imagine : lose a phantasy Star manual...:(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Scootaloo » Fri Apr 24, '15, 12:01 am

In PSI: Probably Thundee

In PS2: Probably Megid

In PS3: Probably Gires

In PS4: Probably Effes, Crosscut or Regen.
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 48

Postby Zio_Falz » Fri Apr 24, '15, 5:18 am

Its a thin line between magic spells, techniques, and skills.
PS4 is where the overlap is primarily, where the majority of Rune's skills are technically (pun intended) magic spells, whereas the other chars skills don't qualify as magic.
And then we assume normally that techniques are spells, but not necessarily "magic" spells.

Regardless. my choices:
Rolf's Nathu, Rune's Efess, Kain's Nagaj, and others.
Megid is a give or take, due to the resources of MP taken, or HP as well, given the game.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Apr 24, '15, 12:14 pm

Rune's Legeon has a visual appeal and a sound effect that is undeniably cool but I'll go for PS2 Nafoi because nothing says "Hello" quite like a fireball to the face. Flaeli was pretty too, now that I think about it.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Series