Favorite RPG Developer

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Which RPG developer is the best?

Square-Enix
67%
Nintendo
No votes
Tri-Ace
No votes
Level 5
33%
Sega
No votes
Namco
No votes
XSeed
No votes
Atlus
No votes
Other - Come on, tell us the name below!
No votes

Total votes : 6

Favorite RPG Developer

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 15, '07, 8:34 pm

Which company is your favorite RPG developer, if you have one?

My favorite is Square-Enix, but more the Enix part than the Square part. Dragon Quest all the way! :lol:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 15, '07, 11:10 pm

lol FF games were so awesome, its like, a different sort of Phantasy star.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 16, '07, 12:24 am

I like both Square and Enix, but not the two combined. That's kinda like mixing oil and water -- it just doesn't work. :p However, I still can't pick one over the other as they both had good RPGs. Enix had Star Ocean and Dragon Wariror/Quest, while Square had Final Fantasy (which isn't as good, in my opinion) and some other miscellaneous things.

I've never liked the idea of them merging, for the most part.

SparkyIII wrote:lol FF games were so awesome, its like, a different sort of Phantasy star.
I don't think I could compare the two. They're just too different to me. :blank:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 16, '07, 2:40 am

Right now my favorite is Level 5, but all of those listed have made some great games that I enjoy. The Dark Clouds and Rogue Galaxy, in particular. I've even considered starting up a web site dedicated to their games.

Square and Enix do work better separately, I think. I don't really care though, as long as we continue to get great games from either or both. :wink:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Fri Nov 30, '07, 9:18 pm

If you make a fan site for Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy, do make sure to alert me!

I'm a big fan of Level-5, ever since I bought Dark Cloud on accident. XD

Though, if I had to choose, I...I'm stuck between them and another company, Nippon Ichi.

I'm assuming someone's heard of them. They made Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Atelier Iris, and a few other SRPGs.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 3, '07, 10:07 pm

I'll be sure to let you know if I do go through with making that site. :)

I've heard of Nippon Ichi, but I haven't played any of their games yet as far as I know. I haven't played any of those you mentioned, though I have been thinking about getting one or two of them.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atolm » Mon Dec 3, '07, 11:04 pm

I am fond of Bethesda because of Morrowind and Oblivion! :D
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby lee » Sat Dec 8, '07, 6:57 am

My vote goes to Square-Enix. However, I'm more of a Squaresoft fan than an Enix fan before they merged.
lee
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby Snorb » Sat Dec 8, '07, 3:46 pm

(Warning: References to several really old/obscure PC RPGs below. Read 'em.)

BioWare is up there on the list because of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and OBSIDIAN took KotoR and improved it with Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (wow, item creation, lightsaber forms, more Feats, and almost every character can become a Jedi! ^_^)

Also New World Computing for an obscure little gem called Planet's Edge. I've had this game since I bought it at a computer show in Raritan in 1992, and I still haven't beaten it yet.

Sierra/GameArts for the PC version of Zeliard. Hard as all hell, but I enjoy my 16-color EGA games from years that started "Nineteen eighty-/ninety-"

Hell, GameArts for Lunar Legend and Lunar DS. (Even though you couldn't choose targets in Lunar DS.)

A special "Wow, you rock" award goes to Mike Singleton and Beyond Software for the game Lords of Midnight, which is half war game, half epic Lord of the Rings-like quest. And it was made before I was born. =/

Tonkin House for the Ys series, particularly Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, which is a really (great, hard to find) PS2 game.

And finally, Origin Systems for Ultima IV and VI. (Yes, that Ultima.)
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Return to Tech and Design