Best Monster Design

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Best Monster Design

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 2:15 am

Which game do you think had the best overall designs for the various enemies in the game?

For this, I have to go with the original, Phantasy Star I. The later games were impressive in this area, but I think the mythical style of the monsters is really something different. There are a lot of mythical monsters in video games, but PSI had a unique take on a lot of them.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Tue Nov 20, '07, 2:45 am

I think it's a toss-up between Phantasy Star I and II - they were both revolutionary for their time. Compare the original Phantasy Star to Final Fantasy (or anything else from that era) and it's not even close. Over on the 16-bit side, it was a long time before anything rivaled what Phantasy Star II did in terms of monster design.

I guess I'd have to give a slight nudge to the original though because it was so far beyond what other 8-bit games did.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:52 am

I think, of the 3 I've played PS3 has the best designs, PS4 had good ones with probably a lot higher quality, but they weren't as creative. PS2 had some really boring designs in my opinion.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 20, '07, 1:10 pm

PSIII's enemies are very memorable and interesting, in my opinion. So of the four games, I'd say that PSIII would be my pick.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Heikabuchi » Tue Nov 20, '07, 9:09 pm

I'm staying true to PS4. It was a step up from PSIII as far as attack animations. It was revolutionary in the way that the monsters could combine themselves into somthing stronger. (ex: Infant worm > Sandworm.) Although I will definatly give props to PSIII for it's increadible sprite design. The sprites were truly advanced for their time. I even refer back to them quite often for guidlines in my own work. =]
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby LordShibas » Wed Nov 21, '07, 6:07 pm

I would say PS3 had the best designs for the monsters, but the worst animations for them.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Wed Nov 21, '07, 8:29 pm

I say PS1. Like hugues said, it was far beyond other 8-bit games at the time and I also liked the fantasy and sci-fi elements used in the designs.

Heikabuchi wrote:It was revolutionary in the way that the monsters could combine themselves into somthing stronger. (ex: Infant worm > Sandworm.)

That was cool. It made a lot of fights more challenging when monsters combined. I wish more games used that idea.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Classic Series