Best Master System Game?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Best Master System Game?

Postby H-Man » Tue Dec 7, '10, 3:32 pm

Wing Eye wrote:
Espiga wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the SMS version of Ys I. It was one of the best action RPGs of its time. It wasn't quite as good as Phantasy Star, but it had a rockin' soundtrack with music that still dominates to this day (and if you don't believe me, check out some of Falcom's remake CDs of the music--incredible), and gameplay that set it up as an innovative predecessor to games like Seiken Densetsu.

Finally someone else appreciates the music of Ys, that series always has the best soundtracks in videogames :D

I've never played the games, but readily agree that the soundtrack is marvelous.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Dec 19, '10, 7:27 pm

Phantasy Star was the best, of course. I also liked Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Columns (which I always found far superior to Tetris). I vaguely remember some game, I think it was called Cloud Master, where you rode around on a cloud shooting enemies, and you could upgrade your weapons, and you had to be careful not to get caught between a rock and the edge of the screen.

It sounds silly, but I also liked the Master System version of Monopoly. The music and graphics were pretty good, and there was nothing funnier than a boot or an iron being sent to jail and spending some time behind bars.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby H-Man » Wed Jan 12, '11, 1:46 pm

I vaguely recall CLOUD MASTER, although I don't think I ever played it.

AugFourth: Are you of the popular opinion that after MIRACLE WORLD, the only Alex Kidd game that came close to recreating the magic of the first one was SHINOBI WORLD (i.e. you'd like to forget about HIGH TECH WORLD and LOST STARS)?
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

H-Man
Sage
Sage

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Jan 12, '11, 2:50 pm

I actually never played the others, just Miracle World. I didn't have a whole lot of games and I never bothered downloading the ROMs for that series.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby H-Man » Wed Jan 12, '11, 3:20 pm

augmentedfourth wrote:I actually never played the others, just Miracle World. I didn't have a whole lot of games and I never bothered downloading the ROMs for that series.

Then by thunder, it's time for you to play those three games (they're not all that time consuming...well, maybe HIGH TECH WORLD is) so you can give me an answer. :D

H-Man
Sage
Sage

Postby Tanith » Wed Jan 19, '11, 10:47 pm

H-Man wrote:AugFourth: Are you of the popular opinion that after MIRACLE WORLD, the only Alex Kidd game that came close to recreating the magic of the first one was SHINOBI WORLD (i.e. you'd like to forget about HIGH TECH WORLD and LOST STARS)?

I'm not aug4th nor is this about the SMS, but "Enchanted Castle" is a game I have a love-hate relationship with. I'm crazy enough to have downloaded it to my Wii, and I find that the cartoony, 16-bit color-saturated graphics just drown me in nostalgia. I think I sigh wistfully every time I start the game. However, the first half of the game is easy and the last half of the game kicks my butt. The butt-kicking isn't worth the incredibly awful ending to the game. But darn you, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, I can't quit you.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby H-Man » Thu Jan 20, '11, 12:01 am

Tanith wrote:
H-Man wrote:AugFourth: Are you of the popular opinion that after MIRACLE WORLD, the only Alex Kidd game that came close to recreating the magic of the first one was SHINOBI WORLD (i.e. you'd like to forget about HIGH TECH WORLD and LOST STARS)?

I'm not aug4th nor is this about the SMS, but "Enchanted Castle" is a game I have a love-hate relationship with. I'm crazy enough to have downloaded it to my Wii, and I find that the cartoony, 16-bit color-saturated graphics just drown me in nostalgia. I think I sigh wistfully every time I start the game. However, the first half of the game is easy and the last half of the game kicks my butt. The butt-kicking isn't worth the incredibly awful ending to the game. But darn you, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, I can't quit you.

I liked the Enchanted Castle and I proudly admit that the game did not kick my butt at all. Miracle World, on the other hand, just utterly defeated me for years on end (it took me years to make it to the first castle). I only beat it after using cheat codes.

H-Man
Sage
Sage

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Jan 20, '11, 1:45 am

IMO, Miracle World is the best by far, but Enchanted Castle is a decent sequel for Miracle World, though inferior. The other Alex Kidd games are not that good. Lost Stars was silly, High-Tech World had some fun parts and some stupid ones and Shinobi World is just an average game.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 11, '13, 10:55 am

Phantasy Star, lol. As far as I know, it was one of - if not THE first RPG in the world.
Also, it WAS the first game in the world to have a girl as the leading character without being sexist.

Even though most games back then were really fun to play! Someone, quickly invent a Time Machine so that people from this generation can see the perfection of that time! XD
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 34

Postby R-90-2 » Thu Apr 11, '13, 5:10 pm

One that folks should probably ought to try is Golvellius- it's a pretty good Zelda-like by Compile, who would later make The Guardian Legend.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup