Best Master System Game?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Best Master System Game?

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 8, '09, 6:03 pm

Sega's first home console was one of two most popular machines when the gaming industry was recovering from the big Atari crash. It faced a tough battle. Not only did it need to restore faith in the industry, but it also had to compete the Nintendo's juggernaut.

In those days, Sega stepped up to the challenge with many innovative games that broke new ground. What do you consider to be the best of the Master System games?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Best Master System Game?

Postby hugues » Fri Oct 23, '09, 7:20 pm

I assume everyone here will go with Phantasy Star... although in all fairness it really is the best Master System game.

Taking Phantasy Star out, I'd go with Wonder Boy III which was done perfectly on the Master System. I even prefer it to the TurboGrafx-16 version which sounds crazy.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby MrKite » Wed Dec 23, '09, 2:10 am

Hmmm, aside from the original Phantasy Star, I wasn't too crazy about the Master System. I love E-SWAT though. The first Sonic game on the SMS was also pretty decent. And that Dick Tracy game for it was pretty awesome too. Better than the movie it's based on, that's for sure. I have SMS cartridges, but I don't have an SMS, I have a Power Base Converter, which I used on the model 1 Genesis, but I haven't used it in a while, mainly because it doesn't work with the model 2 unit, which I switched to in 2007, so I guess I'll have to buy my own SMS. And I need to get a copy of Zillion too, because I bought a copy of that game back in 2004, and it didn't work right.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Lucas » Wed Dec 23, '09, 3:08 am

hugues wrote:I assume everyone here will go with Phantasy Star... although in all fairness it really is the best Master System game.

Taking Phantasy Star out, I'd go with Wonder Boy III which was done perfectly on the Master System. I even prefer it to the TurboGrafx-16 version which sounds crazy.

I’d also have to go with hugues. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap was the best game if we don’t include Phantasy Star of course. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Tanith » Sat Apr 24, '10, 8:25 am

I decided this thread needs more posts. :D

I agree that Phantasy Star really is the best SMS game. Other standouts include Fantasy Zone, Hang-On, Land of Illusion, Wonderboy (I'm not sure which one is my favorite, but probably 3, as mentioned earlier), and Zillion I and II. Okay, so I didn't narrow that down at all. :lol:
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby PSjunkie » Sat Apr 24, '10, 11:48 am

[quote="hugues"]I assume everyone here will go with Phantasy Star... although in all fairness it really is the best Master System game.

I never played PS1 on the SMS, I never heard of it and never was into RPGs at that time, so for me Wonderboy 3 for me was the best SMS game.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 30

Postby MrKite » Sun Apr 25, '10, 6:05 am

Other than Phantasy Star, some of my other favorites are

Shinobi
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (I still don't have this game. I've only played it via emulation)
Time Soldiers
Sonic The Hedgehog
Fantasy Zone:The Maze
Zillion
Out Run

That's just what I know off the top of my head.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Solar » Sun Apr 25, '10, 3:46 pm

Phantasy Star, no competition. I have played only a few, though.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Darkil » Wed Apr 28, '10, 12:19 am

For me it was Phantasy Star [duh!] and Out Run
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu May 13, '10, 6:39 am

Wow, talk about nostalgia! This brings me back to the glorious 80's, when ratted hair and Tears For Fears ruled... :lol:

I'd have to say the best Master System Games (for me) are: Phantasy Star I, Shinobi, and Lord of the Sword. There was one game that had a penguin as the main character... I think it was called Outland. It was a fun one.

RPG and action were (and still are) my faves.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Next

Return to Retro Roundup