Best Master System Game?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Best Master System Game?

Postby Tweeg » Tue May 25, '10, 4:14 am

Truthfully I didn't at last get hold of a SMS copy of PS until recent years. PS is definetly the most sophisticated of the SS titles, unquestionably. But just going off of what I actualy have played the most on SMSI'm going to have to say the Marksman Shooting & Trap Shooting cart has gotten the most attention out of me. SMS was simply a lightgun (Sega Phaser) fanatics dream come true back in the day.

Had been playing PS on the PS Collection GBA cart up until misplacing the official SoA Helpline Walkthrough. But am pleased to report that last month, while searching for something else, I found said walkthrough and hope to pick back up where I left off at.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Xander » Tue May 25, '10, 5:21 pm

Phantasy Star for me too. For one thing, because it's pure win hands down but also because most of the other games we (my sis and I) had on SMS weren't so great, like Aliens. I couldn't seem to beat that one. >:(
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby H-Man » Wed Jul 14, '10, 5:02 pm

Hmm...I'll have to jump into the Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap camp. Second place goes to Miracle Warriors.

Honorable Mentions to:

Phantasy Star
Double Dragon
Golden Axe
R-Type
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 6:41 am

I had wonderful times with Double Dragon, Hang On, Astro Warrior and Rocky, which I have never beaten.
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Postby mk1995 » Wed Aug 18, '10, 3:39 pm

Phantasy Star was one good game on the system. Over the past weeks I've taken it as my liberty to map out all the dungeons (except for the linear ones) - a feat I haven't completed yet. But I already got to the Skure passage (reason I mapped it was because of the secret treasure behind a fake wall).

Putting Phantasy Star aside, I totally dig Lord of the Sword. If you search hard enough you can find a 1/3 walkthrough of it from me. To easen up your search, my YouTube account is popfan95b (which is actually my second account as I lost access to my first one which is popfan95 - oh the innovativity...).
mk1995
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Postby Espiga » Thu Aug 19, '10, 1:53 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the SMS version of Ys I. It was one of the best action RPGs of its time. It wasn't quite as good as Phantasy Star, but it had a rockin' soundtrack with music that still dominates to this day (and if you don't believe me, check out some of Falcom's remake CDs of the music--incredible), and gameplay that set it up as an innovative predecessor to games like Seiken Densetsu.
The filesize rules are way too small for my sig, so click here to see it instead. :(
Espiga
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 17

Postby Wing Eye » Mon Dec 6, '10, 9:32 pm

Espiga wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the SMS version of Ys I. It was one of the best action RPGs of its time. It wasn't quite as good as Phantasy Star, but it had a rockin' soundtrack with music that still dominates to this day (and if you don't believe me, check out some of Falcom's remake CDs of the music--incredible), and gameplay that set it up as an innovative predecessor to games like Seiken Densetsu.

Finally someone else appreciates the music of Ys, that series always has the best soundtracks in videogames :D

As for favorite Master System games, for me, first place is of course Phantasy Star, but a close second for me is Golvellius: Valley Of Doom, its a beautiful Zelda style game with solid gameplay, tons of exploration, and an incredible soundtrack.

My honorable mentions are: Miracle Warriors, Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap, Wonderboy In Monster Land, Ys I, R-Type, and Zillion :up:
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby tilinelson2 » Mon Dec 6, '10, 11:22 pm

SMS was the console I enjoyed most, so, IMO, many of their games were superb: Phantasy Star, Ys, Wonderboy III, Sonic (I, II, Chaos), Columns, Gain Ground, California Games, Castle of Illusion, Galaxy Force, Zaxxon 3D, Blade Eagle 3D, etc, etc, etc.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Lucas » Tue Dec 7, '10, 8:10 am

Lets throw Fantasy Zone up there too, gotta love Opa-Opa and his awesome wings an legs. :p

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby H-Man » Tue Dec 7, '10, 3:31 pm

As much as I don't really enjoy racing games, Enduro Racer won me over back in the day.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup