Best Dark Force?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Which game had the best Dark Force?

PSI (the nightmare, Saccubus)
6%
PSI (final boss)
No votes
PSII (optional boss)
12%
PSIII (final boss)
24%
PSIV (Fight against Zio)
12%
PSIV (Kuran)
6%
PSIV (Garuberk Tower)
6%
PSIV (Soldier's Temple)
35%

Total votes : 17

Best Dark Force?

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 3, '07, 3:42 am

Dark Force is seen as the ultimate enemy until PSIV, where it's true purpose is shown. Out of all its forms, which do you like best and why?

Every appearance that Dark Force makes throughout PSI-IV will be listed in this poll. Also, I'm leaving the Profound Darkness out of this! :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Sat Nov 3, '07, 3:57 am

Saccubus. It's unique in that it actively seeks out and attacks the party. All the others wait for you to come to them. I think it is also the strongest, but that may just be an impression from the party being at low levels when fighting it off. Either way, it's a fight that most people never win.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:08 am

Dark Force III scared the living snot out of me the first time I saw him. Not only does this titan have over 3000 hp, but he packs an array of devistating techniques. His melee attack alone is enough to kill any mid-high level character, even Wren! I found myself struggling to juggle between Rever, Efess, Crosscut, Deban, NaSar, and Recover during the entire fight. I will give credit to Saccubus, as he caught me completely off gaurd and I died far too often that I'd like to recall, but I honestly didnt expect Seth to tranform! I never even had a chance to heal everyone before I died the first time!!! The other dark forces were somewhat tricky, but only because you had to heal everyone now and then. With Dark Force III, it was like fighting a wild Sandworm at level 18, you never knew if the next round was going to be your death or his! To add to this heap of favoritism, Dark Force III would often take out both Chaz and Rune, leaving me with nobody with Rever. I found myself quickly and franticly shoving moon-dew and sol-dew down my characters throats, and still not being anywhere close to finishing off this titanic beast before me.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 3, '07, 6:00 pm

I also choose the Soldier's Temple Dark Force. I would have really liked for his part of the story to have been drawn out longer. Aside from the surprise factor Heika mentioned that makes him a tough fight when you don't know what is coming, I like that he actually has legs.

Seriously, he's the only Dark Force in the entire series, including non-classic games, that has a pair of actual working legs. He's so tall that he has to kneel just to get on the screen and reach the party. I always thought it would have been great to see him attack a town. I imagine he's just strolling along, towering above most buildings, and all the little NPCs are fleeing in terror.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:44 pm

My vote went towards the PSIII Dark Force. It has always been my favorite. :D

But the hardest one? The Dark Force that tags along for Soldier's Temple in PSIV -- that one always gave me a hard time.

Thoul wrote:I also choose the Soldier's Temple Dark Force. I would have really liked for his part of the story to have been drawn out longer. Aside from the surprise factor Heika mentioned that makes him a tough fight when you don't know what is coming, I like that he actually has legs.
Thoul, doesn't the PSIII Dark Force have legs? Though they're hidden in the clouds, Dark Force doesn't entirely fit on the screen since it's so big. :o

I do have a question. What would you refer to Dark Force as? As a 'he' or 'it'? :? I imagine that Dark Force doesn't particularly have any gender, but when it appears in PSI and, it has that large upper-body and in PSIV it had taken on the shape of a man.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:50 pm

The PSIII DF could have legs I guess, but if so we never see them. It could just as easily be a legless torso like in PSI.

I use "he" and "it" interchangeably for Dark Force. I suppose "it" really fits the most, but I use "he" just out of habit of using it for various things.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:54 pm

I've always thought it had legs. Here's a link to a picture:
http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/gene ... kforce.gif
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 3, '07, 9:28 pm

It could go either way, I suppose. There's certainly more to his body down there. It could be legs or just a mass of flesh with more faces. I choose to think that he doesn't have legs until I see them for sure, but if you think otherwise, that's cool too. 8) :mrgreen:

And speaking of faces, why do you think he has so many on his body? I count eight that we can see in that picture. Also interesting to note that his body is perfectly symmetrical.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 3, '07, 10:12 pm

Thoul wrote:Seriously, he's the only Dark Force in the entire series, including non-classic games, that has a pair of actual working legs. He's so tall that he has to kneel just to get on the screen and reach the party. I always thought it would have been great to see him attack a town. I imagine he's just strolling along, towering above most buildings, and all the little NPCs are fleeing in terror.
Intresting... XD I too would love to see DF3 attack a town. I can just see the principal of the Motavia learning acadamy screaming and running. -sniff- Such a glorious sight. ^_^
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 3, '07, 10:15 pm

If you flipped the PSIII Dark Force upside down, it'd strongly resemble the PSII Dark Force. They both have more than once face and 3 claws/fingers on each arm. Weird thing to think about. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Classic Series