Best Controller

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Best Controller

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 13, '07, 9:05 pm

Which game console has the best controller? I'm speaking of the default controllers, not special add-ons you can buy separately.

For me it was the Super Nintendo. It fit well in my hands and was the first to add extra buttons beyond A and B, but also use them very well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 13, '07, 11:07 pm

I loved the Playstation controllers, there was a job for each of your fingers and little more than that.

But if it counts, the computer mouse is the best.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Wed Nov 14, '07, 1:42 am

I'd love to say that the Nintendo controllers were the best, but I think I'd end up picking Playstation or Super Nintendo controllers. It's hard to pick, really.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby lee » Wed Nov 14, '07, 12:55 pm

I'd vote for Playstation controllers too. They seem to be perfect. But then again, I haven't experienced any Xbox controller so my opinion is just based on the Sony and Nintendo systems.
lee
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby LordShibas » Wed Nov 14, '07, 6:26 pm

It really depends on what kind of game I'm playing. For console FPS games, I prefer Xbox or 360 controllers. For most other games, I prefer the PS2/PS3 controllers. As for my favorite old time controller, that would have to go to the Sega Saturn. 6 face buttons with 2 shoulder buttons. Perfect for figthing games, before I started using arcade sticks.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Wed Nov 14, '07, 8:26 pm

PlayStation or a classic controller for me, too. The Nintendo controllers on their last few consoles have been weird. Like the GameCube or maybe N64?... For one of them, you need three hands to use all the buttons. Weird.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 14, '07, 8:58 pm

I like the button placement on the PlayStation controllers, but not the size of the controllers. I always thought they were too small. They just don't fit comfortably in my hands.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Wed Nov 14, '07, 9:00 pm

Neithird wrote:PlayStation or a classic controller for me, too. The Nintendo controllers on their last few consoles have been weird. Like the GameCube or maybe N64?... For one of them, you need three hands to use all the buttons. Weird.
I always thought that the N64 controllers were intimidating. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Return to Tech and Design