Batman - Dark Knight

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Re: Batman - Dark Knight

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Jul 6, '10, 12:15 pm

I would LOVE to see Daniel Day Lewis as the Joker. I think he'd do a marvelous job!

Angelina Jolie as Catwoman... I can definitely see that. Is there any word on a Harleyquinn?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Tanith » Tue Jul 6, '10, 1:20 pm

I won't really be interested in another Batman movie until they turn my most favorite graphic novel, The Dark Knight Returns, into a movie. I think it's been long enough since the 1980s that the cold war setting will now seem cool and retro rather than dated. I'd like the whole thing to have a cyberpunk 1980s feel to it.

I can't really see how Robin Williams would fit into a Batman movie, but he is surprisingly versatile. He made a good creep in "One Hour Photo."
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 7, '10, 7:11 pm

I haven't heard anything about a Harley Quinn, but I doubt she'll be in the next movie. From what I've read, Nolan has decided to avoid using the Joker again. Instead of trying to get someone to match Heath Ledger's performance, he's going to avoid the inevitable comparisons by focusing on a different villain. I've no idea who that will be yet, though.

Tanith wrote:I won't really be interested in another Batman movie until they turn my most favorite graphic novel, The Dark Knight Returns, into a movie.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to that already, really. DKR is so popular that it practically begs for film treatment. With Frank Miller doing so much film work of late, I have to wonder if he's pushed for it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Thu Jul 8, '10, 12:16 am

Thoul wrote:I'm surprised they haven't tried to that already, really. DKR is so popular that it practically begs for film treatment. With Frank Miller doing so much film work of late, I have to wonder if he's pushed for it.
According to Wikipedia (so not very reliable) interest was expressed at making this into a movie, and Frank Miller supposedly gave his blessing for it to be done any time. DKR is a classic now; it really should be made into a movie. Maybe they're waiting to do a few Nolan Batmans before they switch gears to Miller's old, retired Batman. That's the only reason I can think of for waiting, that switching gears to an older Batman suddenly might be confusing.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 13, '10, 7:36 pm

Thoul wrote: From what I've read, Nolan has decided to avoid using the Joker again. Instead of trying to get someone to match Heath Ledger's performance, he's going to avoid the inevitable comparisons by focusing on a different villain. I've no idea who that will be yet, though.

Yep, Nolan has said there will be NO more Joker:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... an-3_N.htm

I can certainly understand this. Heath Ledger would be very hard to replace/overcome right now. However, I do hope they remember that the character of The Joker has been around and established much longer than just Ledger's portrayal and that character history needs to be honored and respected and not forgotten as well. That said, I do think it's time to move on to a different villian in these movies also. There are several villians they could choose from.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 14, '10, 8:25 pm

I'm sure Joker will be reused in the next Batman film series. He's already been featured in several other forms of media since Dark Knight - games, animated movies, TV cartoons, and so on. For now, it's best to let the character rest from the big screen to avoid the inevitable and potentially unfair comparisons to Ledger that any new actor would face.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Previous

Return to Feature Films