Batman - Dark Knight

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 20, '09, 9:04 pm

I came across this article today asking whether or not people thought that "The Dark Knight" had been snubbed by The Oscars (Academy Awards) this year? Yes, actor Heath Ledger did get a nomination for his portrayal of "The Joker" in this movie, but the movie itself was shut out of a best picture nomination. So, what do you think about that - was it a snub or was the movie "The Dark Knight" just not good enough for a best picture nomination?

Comments or Opinions?

http://movies.msn.com/oscars/point-coun ... ?GT1=28019

Also, I thought it was interesting the various points these two people in the article made regarding various scenes, etc., in The Dark Knight. I'm sure many people did love the film, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see that some people did not like it. Nice comparison to "The Godfather" movies also, I thought.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 21, '09, 4:27 pm

Saying a movie wasn't nominated for an award because some people don't think it was good is silly. Point out any movie and there will be some people that didn't enjoy it or think it was bad. Even movies like The Godfather, that are considered classics, have people that are not fans of it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Sat Feb 21, '09, 7:34 pm

Well I agree with thoul. Just because the movie didn't get nominated doesn't mean people didn't like it. Although I am surprised it didn't get the nomination but there were a few others that came out that would eclipse a comic book movie. Its sad but true that most movies like batman don't get considered due to their roots. Not saying its bad but people will think overall about what the movie is based on no matter how good it is.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Feb 24, '09, 6:58 am

More huge honors for "The Dark Knight" movie as it becomes only the 4th movie ever to enter the billion dollar club. The other 3 movies are "Titanic", "Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King", and "Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest".

Also "The Dark Knight" is now only behind the movie "Titanic" in all time highest grossing movies ever.

"The Dark Knight" also won an oscar award for sound editing at last night's Academy Awards ceremony.

http://movies.tvguide.com/Movie-News/Da ... 03261.aspx

Silver_Surfer1

Re: Batman - Dark Knight

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu May 7, '09, 4:33 pm

Saw this story about Christian Bale and thought someone might find it interesting, especially what he says about his "Dark Knight" co-star, Heath Ledger.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519186,00.html

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Thu May 7, '09, 6:36 pm

That's interesting. It's the first time I've read or heard about any reaction from Bale to Ledger's death. I wondered why; that seems like something the media would pounce on getting. Now I understand it better.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat May 1, '10, 6:53 pm

The 3rd installment in the "Dark Knight" series has tentatively been scheduled to be in theaters on July 20, 2012. Production has not yet begun on the movie, but hopefully soon.

http://movies.tvguide.com/Movie-News/Ba ... 17985.aspx

Anyone looking forward to this new "Batman" flick?

Interesting poll at the link above where they ask who should be the next villian in the upcoming movie. Choices they have include Johnny Depp as "The Joker", Angelina Jolie as "Catwoman", Daniel Day Lewis as "The Joker", etc., or just forget about doing a 3rd movie because third sequels usually don't do well.

Comments or Opinions?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun May 2, '10, 2:51 am

I want to see it, but I hope they don't use the Joker again so soon. I read somewhere that Chris Nolan said he wasn't interested in using Catwoman or Penguin, so maybe we'll get something different this time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 30, '10, 11:00 pm

Actor / Comedian Robin Williams says he really wants a role in the next Batman movie:

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/origi ... 0108.shtml

Williams says he was originally offered the part of the Joker in another Batman movie which Jim Carrey wound up getting, and he was offered the part of the Joker in the Batman movie where Jack Nicholson played the role.

What do you all think....would you like to see Robin Williams do one of these popular villian roles?

I have no doubt that he would do a fantastic job as he is an extraordinary talented actor.

I do think they made the right decision in going with Jack Nicholson as the Joker in that movie , though, as I can't image anyone being any better in that role than jack was....Superb!!!!! :clap:

I also think the Joker, Riddler, etc., has been done enough in these movies. They need to come up with another popular villian for Batman to battle.

Comments or Opinions?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 1, '10, 12:57 am

As good as Robin Williams is in films, particularly roles with humor involved, I'm not sure there's a place for him in the current Batman series. He would have been great as the Riddler back in the '90s series. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a much darker tone and atmosphere, though. The typical antics Williams is famous for might not fit well in that environment.

He can perform well in serious roles too, though, so there's always a possibility.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Films