Batman: Arkham City

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Batman: Arkham City

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 6, '10, 5:56 pm

Some interesting Batman game related news. The sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum is due out in 2011.

The sequel game will be called "Batman: Arkham City.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -in-2011/1

Anyone looking forward to this Batman sequel???

What are your opinions of the first game, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and how do you hope this new game will be similar, or different? Any other expectations from the new game??
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Fri Aug 6, '10, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Batman: Arkham City

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 6, '10, 6:18 pm

Arkham Asylum was awesome. It's easily the best Batman game so far and a nearly perfect Batman experience, IMO. I dislike some of the character designs, but the game play is excellent and easily makes up for that. Lots of neat gadgets, a good story, and some real Dark Knight Detective flavor. The detail in the level design is great, too.

I'm glad they were able to get some of the voice actors from the animated series to reprise the roles. That adds a lot to the atmosphere. But I'm also kind of sad that Arkham City is supposedly the last time Mark Hamill will voice the Joker. He really captures the character's zaniness well. Of course, he said Arkham Asylum would be the last time he did Joker, too...

So anyway, Arkham City should be really great. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the characters that are slated for appearances.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Sat Aug 7, '10, 4:15 am

I for one will be looking forward to this. Arkham Asylum was, as you said Thoul, easily the best Batman game to date and the fact they used some of the main voice actors for the game showed how much love and attention was put into it. I can only assume Arkham City will receive the same love.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Flames of Yagami » Mon Aug 1, '11, 9:40 pm

A European store called Mighty Ape is offering some DLC skins for preordering Arkham City, even one from the animated series!

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/01/eu ... kham-city/
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby Thoul » Tue Aug 2, '11, 12:12 am

These pre-order costumes make me sad. I've seen five different ones and I want them all! :lol: Well, except the Dark Knight Returns skin. There's a 70's Batman skin that looks great (that's the Batman I grew up with) and the Beyond and Animated Series skins are very nice as well. I really hope these are unlockable during the game or at least offered as downloadable content.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flames of Yagami » Tue Apr 24, '12, 11:43 pm

Looks like Arkham City's getting the "Game of the Year Edition" treatment just like Asylum did. It will include all of the DLC released so far, brand new DLC that extends the story and lets you switch between Batman and Robin, and a digital copy of the movie Batman: Year One.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/23/ba ... s-revenge/

The funny thing is, I was considering buying Nightwing last week, but I ended up getting Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection instead, so hearing about this GOTY version makes me glad I didn't get him. I might as well pick this up, just as long as it's not $60.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Tue Apr 24, '12, 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 25, '12, 12:01 am

I'm probably going to just get the new DLC. I've had the game since around Christmas and already bought the costume pack DLC, so I'm not to keen on the idea of paying full price again for the GOTY version.

The Nightwing and Robin DLC to date didn't interest me. If it was more than just challenge maps, I would have gone for that. With no bearing on the story, I didn't find it important enough to buy. I skipped most of the default challenge maps anyway, as I can more for the story than just pure combat. Adding more to the story though, that's a good way to get my money. Being able to play as Robin in part of the campaign is icing on the cake. I hope the DLC also unlocks play as him in the city at large. That would be awesome.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun Apr 29, '12, 10:11 pm

On second thought, I might just get the DLC. I checked Amazon and it says the GOTY Edition will be $50. I was expecting it to be around $30-$40 :(
*Sigh* Too bad companies are always pulling off a Capcom on us these days. I just wish all of these GOTY/Complete/Super/Ultimate Editions would offer incentives to those who purchased the original versions instead of rewarding patient people.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Thoul » Mon Apr 30, '12, 4:31 am

I had a bad feeling it would be around the full price. To make it seem even worse, they'll probably be giving City GOTY away for nothing in a double package with the next game in the series in a few years. They did that with Asylum GOTY when City was first released.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flames of Yagami » Mon Apr 30, '12, 5:25 am

Thoul wrote:I had a bad feeling it would be around the full price. To make it seem even worse, they'll probably be giving City GOTY away for nothing in a double package with the next game in the series in a few years. They did that with Asylum GOTY when City was first released.

Let's hope not, because if it did, Capcom would get the idea to bundle Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 with UMVC3 Arcade Edition (it's not a real game, but it's you get the idea).
Anyway, even though giving Asylum GOTY away with City was a bad idea, it was a way of getting TriOviz glasses to play City in 3D, but how would City GOTY contribute to Arkham 3 in any kind of way if they were bundled?
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Next

Return to General Gaming