Windows 7

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Windows 7

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Oct 20, '09, 6:40 pm

What does everyone think of Windows 7?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568635,00.html

I have already seen some advertisements in sale papers in my newspaper for this.

Will you get Windows 7, or not?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Windows 7

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 20, '09, 7:58 pm

I'm still using Windows XP and have no plans to change any time soon. From what little I've read, there isn't an upgrade from XP to 7 short of wiping the computer's hard drive, which is something I just don't want to deal with right now. I can't really afford a new OS currently, either.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Oct 20, '09, 8:17 pm

I've heard Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista. That is good.

But I have no intentions to switch, for obvious reasons (Mac user.) But if I have a reason to virtualize, maybe I will. So far, no reason.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby PathfinderCS » Wed Oct 21, '09, 12:54 pm

Honestly, XP home edition is just fine for me. I do plan to switch to a Mac in the future and maybe run XP on parallels or something like that as this ole HP is getting up there in years.

But for now, XP will do.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Oct 21, '09, 11:07 pm

Thoul wrote:From what little I've read, there isn't an upgrade from XP to 7 short of wiping the computer's hard drive

I think this is really kind of stupid and mean. They seem to be banking on XP users just getting a whole new computer to upgrade unless you want to engage in a day long, unfun project of backing up files, wiping the hard drive clean, installing 7, and then putting all your files back on there. At least Apple was kind enough to provide a Tiger-to-Snow Leopard upgrade if you had the minimum hardware requirements, even if it cost a LOT more than the Leopard-to-Snow Leopard upgrade.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 21, '09, 11:26 pm

Yeah, it doesn't exactly inspire me to want to purchase the product. I mean, what happens when the next OS comes out? They'll probably do the same thing again and again. I think my PC meets the minimum requirements for 7, but just barely. I would probably be slow as a turtle if I tried to run it anyway.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Darkil » Thu Oct 22, '09, 1:44 pm

I'm going to wait and see how it pans out. I was excited about Vista when I first heard about it but I'm glad I waited. Windows 7 seems really awesome but I need more than just a smattering of screenshots before I'll jump on board.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Tweeg » Thu Oct 22, '09, 7:24 pm

There isn't an XP to 7 upgrade available because XP and 7 run on different core software technologies. Windows XP is the final end user version of the Windows NT software kernel. Windows 7 is the second version of the Vista software kernal. They are two fundamentally different programs.

XP to Vista upgrade was very, very finicky as it really wasn't "upgrading" XP, it was overwriting XP. Vista upgrade edition only needed you to either have XP already installed or have the XP instal disc available to pop-in during installation for validation as proof that you qualified to install the less expensive verion of the OS.

The two biggest draws for Windows 7 are that it got rid of, or at least gives the option to turn off, most of the naggingly annoying pop-ups Vista has that ask if you really really want to do what you just told the computer to do. And, DirectX 11 is a Windows 7 only application. Something else that will become a big draw for seven eventually is that it's MS's first ever flagship touch screen ready OS.

As a warning to anyone considering upgrading to Windows 7. Don't bother unless you have at least a hyper threading CPU, dual core CPU preferable. MS as usual has the absolute lowest specs the OS is capable of running on listed on 7's packaging, but it'll run slower than a quadruple amputee dog in a mud pit if you attempt running it on a single core CPU system.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 22, '09, 9:40 pm

That definitely lets me out, then. I have a hyper threading CPU, but not a dual core. I didn't know that about Direct X 11. That will be a big deal, especially for future games. I guess that means I'll eventually need another new PC to play those. Man, I'm getting really tired of that.

I wonder how much longer XP is going to be supported. Since there are two newer versions of Windows now, Microsoft could be getting ready to retire it and stop putting out security updates as they eventually did with Windows 9x.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tweeg » Sat Oct 24, '09, 3:11 am

Windows XP production ceased in July and as of September there were no more copies to be had from distributors. We stock piled nearly a hundred copies of both Home and Professional at work, but were pretty sure will be sold out of copies by the end of this month.

Microsoft will continue to support Windows XP through Windows Updates until the year 2012 when XP will officially be retired, thus drawing the Windows NT software legacy to a close.

Also, XP keys will continue to be made available to companies making notebooks until the end of this year as not all Netbooks presently being made meat the recommended system requirements for the Netbook version seven, named Windows 7 Starter.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Next

Return to Casual Conversation