BaNL DEMO released!

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: BaNL DEMO released!

Postby vontrapp » Wed Sep 15, '10, 11:49 pm

Aeroprism wrote:
One thing that annoys me. Alys is witty, sharp, clever, that's good. But must she swear that much? She's really, really rude, even in her examination comments.

This I agree on and was going to bring up with, a small list of proof reading bits when I have it compiled a bit more, I feel a lot of the writing is excellent. However the Attitude and Language Alys uses in some scenes really seems to fall out of perspective sometimes :(

However so far the game is fun and I am slowly trying to battle my way through it, and looking forward to the next area coming up :)

@ Aero as to your Font troubles it really does look like the game is not seeing the font at all???????

Have you tried seeing if the Font is working for windows by typing a test document in Notepad using the Forgotten Futurist font?

edit: Sorry forgot to ask which version of Windows you run?

I have tried recreating this on my PC but no matter what I do to the original font file it always installs to the font folder correctly and appears in game. The only way that I can get the same effect as you is to uninstall the font from windows???

I'll keep looking into this for you though!
Last edited by vontrapp on Wed Sep 15, '10, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby vontrapp » Thu Sep 16, '10, 6:43 am

Okay, these are a mix of little text errors and some suggestions on bits that just didn't sound right to me, feel free to ignore them if you like :)

Opening Intro

At the end "to see to the extermination of a simple monster hunt" perhaps "...a simple monster hunt" or "...extermination of a

monster infestation"

Conversation with Dean

"It appears that they have made the basement their headquaters" perhaps "... their nest" would sound better they are monsters

"So far, no-one's been hurt, but who knows when they'll appear again?" they didn't vanish, maybe "..when they'll emerge again?"

"Ah, my dear principal of Motavia Academy, how are you?" He is the Dean not the principal also titles should be capitalised like

names eg Principal

Molcum

Does Rune's description really require "crapload of technique power"? maybe " a technique powerhouse" would be a better

description

Tonoe Basement

"which uses it's paralytic attacks to freeze its prey" it doesn't use a paralyze attack it's a little misleading and as Alys is up on its

description maybe she would know that it "weakens it's prey with noxious gases"

Bioplant Errors

Alys says "Those ears...what on earth are you?And what is this place?!" why would she say what on earth? wouldn't it be Mota?

Hahn Says "Is is still functional?" Instead of "Is it....."

Rika Says "And it's thanks to these systems which control Motavia's soil" maybe replace "which" with "that"

Professor Holt ".....then howcome...." instead of "how come"

Rika Says "She is with Zio.And the name of that castle is
Zio's Fort!" saying castle and fort in the same sentence sounds awkward and strange perhaps this could be truncated to "She is

being held by Zio in his Fortress!"

Alys "And while we at it..." "while we are at it...."

If I come accross any more I'll let you know ;)
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Postby Lyla2284 » Thu Sep 16, '10, 8:15 am

Aeroprism wrote:
Also: criticism time.

I need to say it right away: I really don't like the battle music. It takes too long to kick in for a regular, recurring battle theme and it's too much movie-ish for me. I could very well rename a song I like using the filename you use, copy it to the folder and be done with it, no harm done.

No, there's no harm done in replacing the battle tune with your own Rise and Triumph, Aero. And yes, it does sound like a movie tune because it comes from the movie Twister, which was released in 1998. ^^ But hell, it's better than the original Meet Them Head On. Another tune I detested...

That being said: you have serious variations in your BGM levels, you basically don't have two single songs playing at the same volume level. The victory chime VS the battle song are a very good example. A sound technician could fix all that very easily. Fortunately for you, you happen to know one. And he's really good!

Now aren't I a lucky one? ;) I'll have a look at the volume levels in the game, and double-check them.

Also, I noticed you use sound effects from various games like Star Ocean and Final fantasy, this becomes even more obvious in battles. Is there a reason why you don't use PS sounds? Preference? If it's because you don't have them, this is also something I could fix really easily.

Do you perhaps have a link for the newer PSs sound effects for button sounds or pop-ups? That's the only reason really. I don't have those sound effects, otherwise I would have used it.
So, if you have them Aero, feel free to send them to me.

One thing that annoys me. Alys is witty, sharp, clever, that's good. But must she swear that much? She's really, really rude, even in her examination comments.

Ah yes. Just bear in mind that the comments in brackets are her thoughts, and not her actual out-loud spoken words. I know there's this one incident in Mile where she makes this comment when the civilian mentions Zio's Fort, and she thinks, "Light help me. Has the recent change in weather conditions [censored] up your brain cells? But if it offends people, I'll take it out. I'll
leave the cursing for the more gritty scenes then. It will have a better impact. Hopefully.

Finally: After beating a boss, I got in a normal battle with all my characters on overdrive. I checked and Chaz had an attack choice with no title, costing 0 TP. I tried it out of curiosity, it called for an invalid script and crashed my program. Oh well.

Trust that blonde fool to muck up stuff, yeah? But, I tried getting rid of that unknown skill, even before I released the game, to no avail. I have no idea what's causing it. Stupid Chaz... And yes, I will never, ever make peace with him. Even if you paid me. I have detested him for the last 9 years, so I don't see why I have to change now. :D
Last edited by Lyla2284 on Thu Sep 16, '10, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Sep 16, '10, 7:33 pm

Fonts are not available to other windows apps. This is a test I should have dome right off the bat. The IT tech in me isn't pretty proud.

Let's see if I can't make windows forget it ever knew those fonts.

Edit: I have completely removed any trace of the font, then reinstalled it "legally" by using the archaic interface MS provides instead of just copying it to the folder.

No success.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Thu Sep 16, '10, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby vontrapp » Fri Sep 17, '10, 3:00 am

Geez, this is starting to sound more like a registry issue every time i look at it since you cleaned the file out and used the windows right click install.

Have you searched the registry and removed "Forgotten Futurist" from there AFTER deleting it from the Fonts folder.
Usually found around here "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts"

Then restart windows before doing a right click install to re-add to the Fonts folder and registry.

Yes I agree the Fonts system MS uses hasn't changed much since Windows 3.1.
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Postby vontrapp » Fri Sep 17, '10, 9:15 am

Okay just to notify I updated my earlier post with a Youtube video that details all the things that you need to download so you can play this game with instructions for installing it if the self-installer fails.

For those new to this thread and don't want to search through this is by no fault of the creator it is a limitation of the game creation software.

Video Tutorial For Installing PS:BaNL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4vNWYlWChg
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Postby Kein_Mitleid » Fri Sep 17, '10, 1:25 pm

Excellent idea, vontrapp!
Kein_Mitleid
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 5

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Sep 17, '10, 5:35 pm

I deleted the fonts, checked the registry, the keys weren't there.

I cleaned the registry completely. Rebooted.

Reinstalled the fonts, checked the registry, they are there.

Still no text display.

I'm on XP PRO SP3. This is my workstation as an IT tech and globally internet paranoid, it's scrupulously clean and functionnal, I always keep it in prime condition.

I am completely at loss.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby vontrapp » Mon Sep 20, '10, 12:35 pm

Geez, I'm really at a loss here Aero I have scoured through all my materials and even contacted a few fellow pro's. All we can come up with as last and final guess would be policies with it being a pro machine none of us has been able to replicate your problem ourselves and unless there is some hidden underlying policy set up which forbids new fonts being added we are stumped :(

I wish I could say more. You say it is your workstation are you full administrator on that machine or are you a member admin? i.e. is there a Domain Admin that acts as full admin rights over all machines and you are just local admin rights?
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Sep 20, '10, 3:58 pm

There is a domain admin.

Well, the domain admin is also me, but I do not use that account to work. I can however log in as domain admin if there are changes only that account can do, though I fail to see what local changes my local admin would be restricted to do.

But hey, I'm always happy to learn ;-)
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More