BaNL DEMO released!

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: BaNL DEMO released!

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Sep 14, '10, 11:09 pm

Somehow I can't even extract the game exe right, the extract always fails. Has this happened to anyone else? Where should it be extracted?

Edit: Nevermind: Vontrapp is the man.

Edit2: Oh my gawwwd, you used Sword of Vermillion music!
Last edited by Aeroprism on Tue Sep 14, '10, 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby vontrapp » Wed Sep 15, '10, 8:05 am

Wow, just got my internet back and after 24 hours without that is a major relief you really don't realise just how much you you use it till it's not there :p

Lyla was playing the Beta again since steam won't let me play my games without a connection and ran into something interesting.
I didn't even spot this until the entire party had been wiped out and then I realised Alys still had full health??

Here are Alys's details at the time

Grantz Blade STR 22 DEX 30
Graphite Shield AGI 25 MEN 22
Carbon Crown ATK 55 MDEF 29
Chain Mail LVL 13 PDEF 81
Guild Crest

I also noticed that Professor Holt's Portrait is missing during the conversation in the Bioplant all you get is the missing image Icon.

I also don't want to sound over picky about things but I am also starting to make a list of grammatical bits and pieces words out of place, miss-spellings, and some suggestions. I didn't know if you were planning to proof read through the script again before final release or if you would like us to collect these bits up for you?

edit: Thanks Aero :)
Last edited by vontrapp on Wed Sep 15, '10, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Lyla2284 » Wed Sep 15, '10, 8:24 am

vontrapp wrote:Lyla was playing the Beta again since steam won't let me play my games without a connection and ran into something interesting.
I didn't even spot this until the entire party had been wiped out and then I realised Alys still had full health??

Ah, that is no game bug. It's one of the little hidden quirks in my game. You see, every character has a certain affinity for an element ( such as Fire, Ice, Wind or Thunder ). Now, because Alys' primary affinity is Fire, and all Burst Shots are fire-based, Alys would naturally absorb that damage. The same applies for the other characters, but because it is only a demo, I haven't incorporated it yet. However, this does not hold true for fire-based Techs or firebreaths.

vontrapp wrote:I also noticed that Professor Holt's Portrait is missing during the conversation in the Bioplant all you get is the missing image Icon.

I have since removed his character portrait completely, since I didn't still do a custom art of major NPCs. Same with the Dean of the Academy.

vontrapp wrote:I also don't want to sound over picky about things but I am also starting to make a list of grammatical bits and pieces words out of place, miss-spellings, and some suggestions. I didn't know if you were planning to proof read through the script again before final release or if you would like us to collect these bits up for you?

I did proof-read the game, but because it's hard to sift through all that dialogue, it becomes hard to keep track of all, so normally I end up forgetting to edit that one grammatical error. And I would appreciate it if you guys would pick up these errors and report them to me. :)

That's what this thread is for, after all.

@Aero: You don't SoV's music? It's better than Now on Sale, though. :D Hated that tune.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Xander » Wed Sep 15, '10, 9:05 am

I noticed Rune and Alys absorbing damage a few times in the wreckage. It certainly helped make getting around there easier, seeing how some fights against those things can be nasty. :D

And yes, Now on Sale was annoying as hell. Maybe if you didn't hear it every time you went into a shop it wouldn't be so bad but it's just one of those RPG things I guess.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Sep 15, '10, 12:19 pm

Silly girl, I love SoV's music. Actually I love pretty much everything about that game. And yes, "Now on sale", and the "Inn" music were both horrible, horrible pieces.

Speaking of shops, I can't get the text for items for sale, nothing displays. Yes, I double and triple checked, all the nine fonts you provided are there and installed.

And your intro is gorgeous, really put me in the mood.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Wed Sep 15, '10, 5:14 pm

Silly me, I forgot to include the Forgotten Futurist font. That will allow the names of the items on sale in the shops to display properly.

http://www.dafont.com/forgotten-futurist.font

Yeah, the intro is pretty good, if I say so myself. Better than PS4's, by far. :D

Just a question. How would you guys feel now if you powered up the original game and put it into contrast with mine? Would you still play it? Or are there still some nostalgic moments that you have to see in PS4?
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Xander » Wed Sep 15, '10, 5:26 pm

Well there is a difference for sure. But then again, there's a massive age difference too. :D But you've certainly given the old game a makeover to the point where it might as well be another game. And judging by what you've said about the Dezoris arc and the rest of the game, this is only going to get even bigger.

So in short: Would I still play the old game? I still do now, so yeah. Like I said, you're making a whole new game, not a rehash of the original so now I have 2 games to play with. :p You could do the same with PS I and II and I'd still play them.

And I like it anyway. It's actually quite cool to fire up the original and play through it after this one. :D
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Sep 15, '10, 10:05 pm

You didn't forget it Lyla, Forgotten Futuristic was there in the original post. I re-installed it just in case, it still wont display.

I want to play this :(
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby vontrapp » Wed Sep 15, '10, 10:40 pm

Aero just as a question have you tried deleting all Forgotten* fonts from your Windows/Fonts Directory restarting and then re-installing.

I have seen windows reject a new font because it thinks it already has one installed, or has a corrupt font file.

If that doesn't work can you post a screen shot of the shop interface for me to see?
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Sep 15, '10, 11:14 pm

Nice idea. Unfortunately, didn't work.

aero_banl_sc.JPG
aero_banl_sc.JPG (26.94 KiB) Viewed 2923 times

Also: criticism time.

I need to say it right away: I really don't like the battle music. I'd expect to hear that theme in a medieval game or something more relaxed. It takes too long to kick in for a regular, recurring battle theme and it's too much movie-ish for me. But that it a matter of preference. I could very well rename a song I like using the filename you use, copy it to the folder and be done with it, no harm done. Unless you would feel like I am violating the integrity of your game, I would fully understand.

That being said: you have serious variations in your BGM levels, you basically don't have two single songs playing at the same volume level. The victory chime VS the battle song are a very good example. A sound technician could fix all that very easily. Fortunately for you, you happen to know one. And he's really good!

Also, I noticed you use sound effects from various games like Star Ocean and Final fantasy, this becomes even more obvious in battles. Is there a reason why you don't use PS sounds? Preference? If it's because you don't have them, this is also something I could fix really easily.

One thing that annoys me. Alys is witty, sharp, clever, that's good. But must she swear that much? She's really, really rude, even in her examination comments.

Finally: After beating a boss, I got in a normal battle with all my characters on overdrive. I checked and Chaz had an attack choice with no title, costing 0 TP. I tried it out of curiosity, it called for an invalid script and crashed my program. Oh well.

I am really enjoying this game. Expect lots, lots more verbal content from me in the future.

Edit: I tried the music swap and of course, it works fine. Seriously, seeing your combat UI pop while my "Rise and Triumph" started, that made my day. And I'm already working on a colder, techno version of this. Anyways.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Wed Sep 15, '10, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More