Bike recall

Chat about things happening around the world.

Bike recall

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 22, '15, 5:37 pm

Trek is issuing a Bike recall after several people have been injured:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trek-r ... ailsignout
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Bike recall

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Apr 23, '15, 2:57 pm

I got an email about this yesterday, as my bike does indeed fall under the recalled part, which is the front wheel quick release lever. Fortunately, the shop down the street from my apartment is a registered Trek dealer, so no major trouble for me to go there, show him the email, and get it looked at for free.

The one problem I have with this is that this won't happen if you properly adjust and tighten your quick release lever, and put it on the side where it won't interfere with the disc brake. I don't think that Trek should be held liable for this at all, but I guess it's good they stepped up regardless if the design can be improved. The point of a quick release is to easily remove the tire, but you have to close and lock it before riding. It's on the consumer to not leave it open and to check them frequently. Injury is a risk you take if you ride a bike, and I'm skeptical of how much liability the company really has - 3 (known) cases out of a million sounds a lot more like user error than a defective part. I feel it would be analogous to blaming a car manufacturer for your injury in an accident if you don't put on your seat belt.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Apr 23, '15, 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu May 7, '15, 6:29 pm

Heard about another bike recall the other day. This recall is for some Felt Bicycles:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Fel ... -Bicycles/
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 7, '15, 7:14 pm

This seems to be a different part and a different company from the last recall. I did actually get my quick release lever switched out last week and it seems the only real difference is that it's shorter and doesn't swing down as far. Funnily enough, the model of QR lever used on Trek bikes is pretty widespread in the industry, so there may be more recalls of QR levers if other companies follow Trek's lead.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Current Events