Bad Habits & Age

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Bad Habits & Age

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Apr 27, '10, 4:28 pm

Another study that finds bad habits such as smoking, drinking, not exercising, and not eating right can make a person age faster:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/nationa ... years.html

One would think this would not be too hard to figure out after all we've heard by now. :yaknow:

Oh well, even though I don't have much trouble with the smoking, or drinking, I guess I could always use more exercise and should be eating better with more fruits and vegetables, etc. :yes:

Comments anyone?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Bad Habits & Age

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Apr 27, '10, 7:48 pm

Yet another 'this is like saying "water is wet"' moment. :roll:

One nice thing about my post grad school ordeal/breakdown has been some time to improve my habits. Since early last month, I've been paying a lot more attention to improving my diet and exercising. And now that I have something set up that doesn't start until June, I have some time to REALLY devote my energy to that, especially exercise. 3-5 days a week I go out biking, do some body weight strength training, active isolated stretching or SOMETHING. Since starting I can tell a discernible difference in my strength, flexibility, stamina and energy. Good for body and mind.

I also don't smoke and never plan to. And I don't drink that much, and never more than one drink at a time.

Okay, scientists, now that this is established, used your money to study things that aren't 'well, DUH!'
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 27, '10, 8:03 pm

You know what amazes me about this? The study took 20 years. I don't even want to imagine how much it cost and how much patience was needed to see it through. Especially since the result will make most people just say, "um yeah, what did you expect?"
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Apr 27, '10, 11:42 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Yet another 'this is like saying "water is wet"' moment. :roll:

One nice thing about my post grad school ordeal/breakdown has been some time to improve my habits. Since early last month, I've been paying a lot more attention to improving my diet and exercising.

I am with you on that statement, CW! Since I also pulled out of grad school, I've gotten back into yoga. It's so good for you; mind, body, and soul. I can't get enough.

I could drink more water, though.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby MrRoivas » Sun May 2, '10, 3:16 am

It seems a little ridiculous, but that how science works. Theories and ideas constantly are tested to see if they are wrong, and good science is thorough.
How can you hope to defeat me, if you're not wearing any pants?
MrRoivas
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 8

Postby Darkil » Tue May 4, '10, 2:30 am

Ha ha, thanks for the updates Captain Obvious!

Anyways I think this was a large waste of time seeing as in another 40 years they'll do some other test to prove this one wrong. I think I will be old, grey, and sporting a Psycho Wand by the time they finish the next one...
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Return to Casual Conversation